Posted By: msweet2995 Cancer recurrence - 03-23-2016 07:19 PM
I have a question I have had cancer two times, the second time radiation was done. I was told that radiation can be done to the same area only once. I am waiting for a biopsy result, this would be the third time for cancer, if it is back. Is that true radiation to same spot only once? thank you
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Cancer recurrence - 03-25-2016 10:10 PM
Multiple doses of radiation to the exact same spot are mostly avoided, though some people have had them done. If you have the radiation map from your previous treatments available, it might even be possible to find pathways to radiate that area and still avoid the same tissues and structures. They are also seeing that with a more targeted approach than even IMRT, Proton beam radiation which is very pin point and less penetrating, that it can have better outcomes if a re radiation has to be done. This is all a difficult decision making place to be, as the documentation of too many grays of radiation to the same area have known negative consequences. Many opt for surgery if it is possible as an alternative, but the places that might be accomplished are limited anatomically.
Posted By: msweet2995 Re: Cancer recurrence - 04-07-2016 08:06 PM
Its a negative, but will take a long time for wound to heal thank goodness no Cancer
Posted By: someguyjeff Re: Cancer recurrence - 04-07-2016 09:49 PM
Great news!!!
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Cancer recurrence - 04-08-2016 02:11 AM
Awesome news.
Tammy
Posted By: donfoo Re: Cancer recurrence - 04-14-2016 04:53 AM
Whew! Love to hear no cancer news.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum