Posted By: Caco Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 06-25-2013 08:20 PM
Mets, then spot radiation to Pop's humerous (arm) to relieve bone pain resulted in an inevitable fracture, which given some time did not heal, which after a pin was inserted resulted in a post op near death reaction. He's still in hospital/rehab care, and struggling, as right before surgery he had (3) fine needle biopsies to rule out a new cancer in the same arm. Now his shoulder and arm have skin-level painful nodules multiplying like rabbits starting at the biopsy point of entry (lymph nodes near the clavicle/shoulder) and springing up and down the lymphatic path in his fractured arm.

I've convinced his rehab team that we need to get him transported to a local cancer center as he can't travel to his CCC for a radiation consult. Has ANYONE here dealt with tumor/cancer "tracking" where a biopsy has brought cells up to skin level causing pain, etc? Any help or referrals appreciated, and I'll be sure to keep you posted.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 06-25-2013 09:03 PM
Im very sorry, I have never seen this discussed on the forum before.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 06-26-2013 03:04 AM
Liza had a similar situation they treated with chemo then did reads. Hugs to you girl - he should be at a CCC. Push and make noise.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 06-26-2013 12:57 PM
Who mentioned the condition, cause it's not common. I have no personal experience, but it seems to have occurred with some cases in the lungs with large bore needle biopsies, not fine needle, to what extent you describe, I don't know. Your father should be seen at the CCC. Don't wait for rehab. Call an ambulate or make other arrangements to be seen by a more specialized doctor, if stabilized enough for transportation. Most think your confined to the nursing home, and just under their care. You can go see any doctor, and go back later in the day. It could be another type bodily response too, but I don't know.

Good luck.
Posted By: Caco Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 06-26-2013 11:44 PM
Yes, it is rare Paul, less than 2% from what I'm reading, and like everything associated with our ole friend OC I'm learning more about it. He's been at a CCC all along, but had a post surgical reaction after discharge for an orthopedic pin to secure a fracture--before he even made it into his house he almost died. He's still recovering a week later from that at his current hospital (1.5 hrs from our CCC) as it was yet another rare reaction that no one--hosp, CDC, CCC can identify. So he has 3x setbacks at this point.

He's too weak to commute to his CCC and needs daily PT. His pre surgery biopsy escalated metastasis to skin level on the same arm he fractured, causing more pain and impeding PT progress. Imagine what that arm looks like about now :l The "good" in this is that our CCC team IS working with the CC team at this local hospital, both MOs and ROs know each other and come from the same CCC Harvard pedigree, and his palliative radiation plan is the same whether here or there.

If we were still in curative stage, I'd be carrying him on my back to CCC treatment. Quality of life trumps travel option at this point. What amazes me is the fast progression of these mets. For whatever reason they let me watch his biopsy in May so I know exactly where those needles went in, and within a month that area is now a pool of raised nodes.

FWIW, the CCC MO told us "he's not surprised" re the new nodes and I'm still trying to circle back with him at what he meant...the more I learn the more I'll share. I can confirm that before that biopsy, he had only lytic lesions, not defined tumors per his PET this May.
Posted By: Caco Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 06-26-2013 11:49 PM
And thanks Chris and Cheryl--he'll get through this, getting a little better and stronger each day. Chris, he was hitting on his nurse before I left today and has most of the LVH (female) staff enchanted, so he's coming back to us.
Posted By: Caco Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-06-2013 11:07 PM
heartbroken to let you know that pop begins hospice on Monday. the past 8 weeks have been a roller coaster but now it's steady decline.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-07-2013 01:28 AM
Im very sorry to hear your father has not gotten any better and will be starting hospice. He has been thru so much already. Im very sorry!!!
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-07-2013 08:42 AM
So sorry to hear this Caco. Just enjoy every moment you have with him.
Tammy
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-07-2013 01:15 PM
So so sorry.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-07-2013 01:55 PM
cry I'm so sorry...
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-07-2013 07:54 PM
Caco, so sorry to read this. It is tough to watch your parents go through this and you stand there helplessly wishing there was more you could do. I went through this with both my parents and had hospice for both of them. They will help you both get through this. I'll keep your pop and you in my prayers.
Posted By: Gabe Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-08-2013 12:13 AM
I am so terribly sorry on reading this Caco cry
Hoping that your pop is pain free!! Sending you a big cyber [[[[hug]]]]!
Gabriele
Posted By: donfoo Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-08-2013 04:23 AM
Caco,

so sorry to hear about your father's condition. Every one of us reaches that point when we reach the door to the next chapter of our soul. Hoping for the most comfort for him and you all. don
Posted By: Caco Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-22-2013 01:25 PM
Pop passed peacefully--and sneakily this weekend, giving us a morning of coffee chatter, shampoo and shave time to be followed by a quick exit. We were talking about his granddaughter's birthday the following day and his son's the day before. He heard it all and I firmly believe he waited til we were out of the the room--and with the exception of his granddaughter/my daughter's sudden "Mommm!" he went for eyes wide open to calm. I believe firmly that he chose his time so as not to darken a birthday...plus he saw his mother and mother in law waiving to him outside his precious garden view window.
Posted By: julieann Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-22-2013 01:40 PM
So very sorry, Caco. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. The one thing you can smile about now is that you have a Guardian Angle in Heaven to watch over you and your loved ones.

Julieann
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-22-2013 01:49 PM
I'm so sorry. But glad his passing way a good experience for you - and you had the best with I'm. We saw my dad on st.patricks day and he was awesome, then two days later we lost him. I am so happy about the time we did have with him that day it was terrific. Hugs my dear.. And much love to you.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-22-2013 01:53 PM
Im very sorry for your loss. He was a great man and will be missed. May he rest in peace.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-22-2013 02:24 PM
I'm sorry for the loss of your father.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-22-2013 03:32 PM
So sorry for your loss.
Glad he went peacefully and at a time of his choosing.
Take care,
Tammy
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-22-2013 05:39 PM
How wonderful to read that he had his "precious garden window view" with his granddaughter by his side when he passed. It does sound like he chose his time to "exit". He was obviously counting his blessings. Thank you for sharing this lovely update.

I am so very sorry for your loss and offer my condolences to all of your family and his friends. You have been a fabulous caretaker and I hope you take some solace in the fact that you did everything you could to make him comfortable. May he now rest in peace and joy.

Donna
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-23-2013 12:23 PM
So so sorry.
Posted By: Mary40000 Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 07-24-2013 03:20 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your father. From reading your posts, it is evident what an amazing caregiver you were to him. He was a lucky man.

Sincerely,
Mary

Posted By: Caco Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 08-07-2013 12:22 AM
Thank you everyone.

These are my post script NON medical observations for consideration:

-fine needle biopsy of suspicious malignancies: If you already have cancer, find a less invasive confirmation method. I saw first hand how quickly mets track to skin level and spread.

-consider bone strengthening options while in treatment. A fracture can turn into a fast cancer-related death. Pop had to discontinue zometa due to dental issues and broke his arm quite easily several months before he died, surgery couldn't correct it as mets moved quick.

fwiw...
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Fine Needle Track Seeding after biopsy - 08-07-2013 12:41 AM
Yup!!! On the FNA that's why I asked my dr when he was cutting did he move from clean to dirty... Makes a big difference. smile

Hugs girl
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum