Posted By: Lepreckaun meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-29-2008 12:17 AM
Never could spell bisquits right but I sure can eat them. Mom made a pan tonight and I had to try one my goodness it was good. Yeah I had a glass of water right there and she made meatloaf. I still have a hard time eating potatoes and rice but I can eat alot of things only I have to keep my water ready. Still no saliva but I can eat. Is that weird?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-29-2008 09:02 AM
Thats absolutely amazing!!!!!

Please share with me your secret, I struggle to eat everyday. My diet is basically yogurt and chocolate milk.

Posted By: davidcpa Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-29-2008 10:43 AM
It's only going to get better.
Posted By: Markus Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-29-2008 01:40 PM
Christine,
I had problems with many foods initially, especially things that are crumbly and stick everywhere. Meat was still another problem.. beside the taste it was nearly impossible to swallow.
Try to work your way up to cream soups and then soups with vegetable, then mashed potatoes, soft pasta (macaroni) etc. I still have little spice tolerance and a normal slice of pizza may taste very spicy... One thing that was strange, I tolerated seafood from very early on (shrimp especially).

Best
M

Posted By: x28007 Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-29-2008 03:30 PM
Congratulations on being able to eat biscuits without any saliva!!!
Posted By: Eileen Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-29-2008 04:14 PM
Marcus,
If shrimp works, lobster should work even better. All that butter helps get it down. Claws are easier than tails.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-29-2008 05:06 PM
[quote=ChristineB]Thats absolutely amazing!!!!!
Please share with me your secret, I struggle to eat everyday.
[/quote]

I use the frozen biscuits and undercook them a bit and put LOTS of butter (real butter, no margarine for me) and jam on em.

Now keep in mind I started being able to do this at about 4 months post IMRT.

KC
Posted By: Markus Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-29-2008 05:23 PM
Indeed,
lobster does work as well, or better. Although this is not an everyday thing....

M

Posted By: Lepreckaun Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-31-2008 10:30 AM
bisquits smoothered in gravy or honey butter meltd. Gotta be wet. I eat a lot of pasta but keep my water VERY close. I have found that if I have a cup of coffee with french vanilla creamer in it kind of coats my mouth ok so it goes down a little easier. I haven't reied seafood yet becuase everything taste so salty to me. I used to eat and cook with a lot of salt now I don't use it at all. My nutritionalist told me use gravy alot so I do try bisquits with sausage gravy from Mcdonalds I was totally shocked when I was able to eat that but man was it good. I still end up throwing alot of food away but I try eating something different every day just like we did when our mamas used to make us do when we were young children. Even things I could eat yesterday I try them again another day to see if maybe I can do it. It gets better every day.
Posted By: Lepreckaun Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-31-2008 10:32 AM
I can't use sweet stuff but gravy is my best friend. Bisquits are so good covered in it. Meatloaf and chicken (thighs) are good too.I used to only eat white meat with chicken but found it is too dry so I switched to dark meat and can eat that with kittle difficulty.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-31-2008 10:39 AM
Lep,

Stop, your making me hungry with that biscuits and gravy talk.
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-31-2008 10:57 AM
[quote=Lepreckaun]Meatloaf and chicken (thighs) are good too.I used to only eat white meat with chicken but found it is too dry so I switched to dark meat and can eat that with little difficulty. [/quote]

I hope this is not a blinding flash of the obvious, but what I finally figured out is that the more fat the meat has in it, the easier it goes down. I have already told my PCP that if the cholesterol goes up, then we will adjust the medicine to deal with it. I am going to eat!
So far, exactly the opposite has happened, it has gone down (Adkins paradox?) I had always know the the cheaper the hamburger meat, the better the hamburger, now I just look for the fattiest steak and give it the old salt treatment. http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/08/28/how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks/
The only exception for me has been bacon, still too chewey....
Posted By: EzJim Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-31-2008 11:05 AM
A steak without fat is like a day with sunshine. You gotta have it for flavor and tenderness.
Posted By: EzJim Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-31-2008 11:15 AM
I made turkey meatballs yesterday and added fresh wheat bread crumbs I made. Fried them then added them to a sauce. They were very easy to mash in with the angel hair pasta. Just have to keep everything moist and it seems to work for me. I needed some good old home made and still have enough to freeze for future meals. I like to experiment with food LOL
Posted By: Malka Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-31-2008 12:46 PM
Breakfast this AM was sunyside up eggs w a slice of whole wheat bread. Ww bread is very dry so I put my little iron skillet on a high fire and dropped the bread in while I got everything else ready. I took the bread out, dropped in the eggs and buttered the bread. When the eggs were ready, I put the bread back in for a few sec. I cut the bread in small piecs to soak up the yolks and it was easy to eat.
Malka
PS to Brian: Could there be a new Forum section devoted to food and drink?
Posted By: EzJim Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 01-31-2008 05:15 PM
Eggs over fried buttered toast sure sounds like a winner. I'll try that for supper tonite. Thanks for the idea.
Posted By: Lepreckaun Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-01-2008 07:24 PM
French toast is great too. I NEVER thought that eating food would be so much fun. If I had a little spit on the side things would be super great !!!!!LOL
Posted By: Lepreckaun Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-02-2008 03:04 AM
Oh yes today was a KFC day. Took the fried skin off the thighs and ate two of them. mac and cheese and potaoes with LOTS of gravy and yea I had a bisquit too tons of gravy. I am not worried about gaining weight or anything else like that because my nutritionalist told me not to loose anymore weight but I am still loosing it. Before I came up with the C I coukldn't loose the weight I went from 170 to 130 and lost another two pounds so if I can get it down then down it will go. Just keep trying everything even things that you didn't like before because I have found that I can toletate them better now. I hate throwing away food but I have thrown enough away to feed a whole country it seems.But I keep trying.
Posted By: EzJim Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-02-2008 10:55 AM
I have gone from 218 to 186 and seems I lose a little weight each day. I can see my kneecaps now tho. LOL
Posted By: ChristineB Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-02-2008 12:09 PM
Tonight Im going to try biscuits with butter and jelly. I will have my cup of water handy. It must be a southern thing, but here in PA cant get biscuits and gravy form McDonalds. I wish McDonalds had it, I used to love biscuits and sausage gravy.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-02-2008 05:42 PM
I remember KFC's and Boston Market's chicken pot pies as being a part of my recovery nutrition for a few months. Don't need gravy or liquidty foods now but when I did they were one of my regulars.
Posted By: Gabe Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-02-2008 06:22 PM
I think Malak
Posted By: auntypebbles Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-02-2008 07:33 PM
Oh man im starving......i think a thread with food ideas would be so wonderful especialy if people would put recipes by recovery month type of thing...i am 2 months post tx and cant seem to eat anything i have just got my hunger pains back (havent been hungry since treatment started) i didnt think to try egg.....might try that tomorrow
Posted By: Stoj Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-02-2008 07:46 PM
Oatmeal was one of the things I could eat through out most of my treatment except for some really bad weeks. You can play with the consistancy based on how your swallowing is going. I still eat it every morning for breakfast. The commercial is true, on my last visit to my HO he ran all my blood tests and said my cholestrol levels were great. A food and recipe forum sond like a good idea. And on another note I lost 35lbs when I went through my treatment. I now have gained all that back and then some.

Tim
Posted By: Gabe Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-02-2008 09:09 PM
Poached and still a little runny was easier than even scrambled eggs in the early days.
Like you Tim lost 10KG (not sure what this is in lbs) with op. 9/2006 and have also gained it back and then some crazy
Think some of it is due to not being as physically active yet.
Gabe
Posted By: JT2 Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-02-2008 10:49 PM
Eileen:
I am so envious. I must have fallen asleep during the swallowing lessons because I have some scary moments with aspiration if I eat anything other than ice cream. Also, two of my three dentists spooked me with the knowledge that rapid tooth deterioration was out of control in my mouth. After a few months of Therabite use, I have only recently been able to properly clean my teeth, but with the lack of saliva, any food related bacteria would only exascerbate the problem. How have you overcome these problems? Hungry for a clue... JT2

PS: Sorry for barging into your thread with my own problems, and failing to congratulate you on your progress. What - cancer took my table manners too!
Posted By: Lepreckaun Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-11-2008 10:16 PM
Banana pudding today oh boy. even had roast beef with brocilli and cauliflower. Notice every thing is very moist because if it weren't I could not swallow it. My mom made the banana pudding more soupy then normal it was so good.
Posted By: EzJim Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-11-2008 10:29 PM
I wish I could chew some food and enjoy it. After they removed my teeth for implants,and with this OC on my tongue, I settle for puddings, soups and of course Carnation VHC. Ice cream works too but burns like hell.
Posted By: Lepreckaun Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-13-2008 06:54 PM
I have four teeth in my mouth that belong to me the rest I paid for. I can't eat with them in so I have to eat things that I can break with my tounge. Its crazy the things all of can eat or not eat. I did not have rad implants put in so I am sorry for you. I don't know how that feels. I can only say that I enjoy the things that I can get down because like you I have given up alot of the things I enjoy. I can't stand icecream anylonger or yougart. It feels too dry. which is weird because as long as I have gravy I can eat a bisquit. No other bread though and forget cakes.
Posted By: Eileen Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-13-2008 07:45 PM
Love that avatar. Where are you guys finding all these marvelous new avatars?

Think fine French food. Comes with lots of good sauces. Chicken wings and thighs are much more moist than breasts. While I was having radiation, breakfast foods and soups went down easiest until all I could taste was salt. Then I just gave up and just drank Ensure Plus. More calories per swallow and I actually liked the coffee and butter pecan. Didn't know about the Carnation VHC. I only had 12 front teeth for year and a half so like you chewing was a challenge. Felt like a rabbit and it took forever to eat anything. Keep at it. Things do improve with time.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: EzJim Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-13-2008 08:30 PM
I went to the store and bought some baby food. LOL That's what I ate after surgery in Aug and it works just as good now. I give up on trying to make food that doesn't burn my tongue or mouth. I have about anything possible to help with this pain, but nothing kills it enough to even eat blended food. Baby food and tapioca . LOL
Posted By: Lepreckaun Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-13-2008 10:43 PM
I feel like my avatar just jumping around. its happy. I have come to really like the ensure and boost. That is a shame too. because when I first started I could not stand the smell of it. I have found in the freezer department a dinner by weight watchers smart choice it is roast beef. It has brocilli and cauliflower in it lots of gravy and really good. Try it you'll like it. Oh a plus on that is you can eat it with or with out teeth.LOL Take care, Brenda
Posted By: Lisa Lisa Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-21-2008 12:52 AM
During radiation, I ended up with a blister the size of a dime under my tongue due to the radiation bouncing off of fillings in my teeth. I pretty much stuck to alfredo sauce with noodles, chicken noodle soup with an egg mixed in, and lots of scrambled or fried eggs (sometimes with grits).
Posted By: Lepreckaun Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-21-2008 03:44 AM
I can deal with the alfredo sause but I hate eggs. Its fun learning things we can eat isn't it
Posted By: Eileen Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-21-2008 03:37 PM
For those that like eggs, poached and soft boiled worked well also.
Posted By: peace4uall Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-21-2008 04:12 PM
If Brian is watching, this new food forum would be great. Not only for those who are not able to chew and swallow, but also for
the nutrition facts that are needed for us all. I could not swallow whole foods for a long time, but you had to pay for cookbooks with recipes. I even called the American Cancer Society. A lady had made one, but there was a fee. I needed it that day!!
My youngest son just graduated chef school and has watched me struggle. He is very sensitive about my needs when I could not eat and made me really great soups and homemade bisques! We could all publish on here and everyone could benefit for free.
Just a wonderful thought. We could feel like we are contributing something.
Thanks for listening
Debbie
Posted By: Lepreckaun Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-22-2008 01:28 AM
Brian has added a new forum just for us cool huh. Thanks Brian
Posted By: Markus Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-23-2008 11:40 PM
One thing that would be useful is to separate the food into different categories/stages. i.e. stuff you want to try at the end or after radiation, then add items that may be palatable 3 months later and so on. Obviously, there will be a lot of individual differences too.
I just made turkey and gravy (frozen in roasting pan {Jennie-O}). Just put the thing in the oven.. (so much for gourmet cooking....). In any case it was very easy to eat, I feel I could have tolerated that a long time ago. I also had a beer. If you must have one try a dark beer with little carbonation. As I found out tonight guinness works well for me. ... and I am now a cheap date.

M

Posted By: Hacklene Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-24-2008 01:48 AM
I was delighted to find this new subject on our forum. Having struggled with trying to come up with something new to eat for the last five years has become a hassle. Now we can share ideas that are necessary for our survival and get some variety in our food we can eat. I already learned about the Roast Beef by Smart Choice. Thanks. If we all just share one item, can you inagine how many new foods we can try that many of us never thought of. I am looking forward to more ideas and suggestions.

Hacklene
Posted By: Lepreckaun Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 02-24-2008 10:14 AM
ChristineB,
I have found that if you take the pork chop rib )the part with out the bone, have it cubed like cubesteaks cut it up bite size then quick fry it in butter, make a gravy with it it is better then sausage because it doesn't have the sage and pepper in it. I can't tolerate spicey things yet. But that is really good. It doesn't take long at all. Our meals take no more the about 20 minutes to fix any more. Its just trying to find something different that takes the longest. Keep going. Brenda
Posted By: Lepreckaun Re: meatloaf and homemade bisquits - 03-24-2008 10:41 AM
Yeah I can see my knee caps and my feet. I have now gotten down to 120. Heck another 20 and I will be what I weigh 30 years ago. I keep trying new foods though. But I seem to always get back to Macaroni and cheese. Its the easiest to swallow.
Brenda
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum