Posted By: Stoj I have returned (MDTP ?) - 02-15-2023 12:37 AM
I'm 16+ years post treatment. I have had some swallowing issues that have been getting progressively worse. I have had some tests done, and they show that I am aspirating when I swallow. This all came about when I was in the hospital for a hernia repair, and while recovering, I aspirated and was diagnosed with pneumonia. Given my RT, pneumonia history and swallow study, I ended up having a GJ tube placed and am currently npo except for small sips of water. Does anyone here have any experience with McNeill Dysphagia Therapy Program? Thoughts?

Tim
Posted By: steve l Re: I have returned (MDTP ?) - 02-23-2023 12:08 AM
Hi Tim, I have a similar story to yours, except I got the tube at 12 years! Not uncommon, I have been told about 30% of the folks get it due to damage from radiation. So I have been a "tubie" for 18 months, I am actually better, I had gotten aspirated Pneumonia several tme and the docs said if I kept up eating I might have a "shortened life" I am still very active and swim/run/bike..hike, just takes a little getting use to. Brian Hill, the founder of the forum is in a similar place. Read some of his posts. My doctors are at UCLA, they are VERY good
Posted By: Pandora99 Re: I have returned (MDTP ?) - 02-23-2023 03:50 AM
Awesome for you. I have known Brian for years and he was a tremendous help to me when I got my tube in Jan /22.

I am like you - I am not as hard core as you as Brian. I use my formula in the morning with chocolate free mixed in. That is my lazy - newspaper - Facebook time so my gravity feed is set to slow drip.

Other meals are blender meals. I enjoy the food the family that the food drinks. Eg. Tonight I blended ham, scalloped potatoes, protein powder, mixed vegetables and formula. I always strain. Always. I am often surprised which mixture has enough sediment to block the mesh screen and slow/stop the draining. I am very fortunate that I do t have food envy. I was overweight for 67 years and I have an excellent sense of smell and memory so I don’t feel I am missing something.

I am good with going out for dinners and others eating - providing I can have a cocktail or two while they eat. I am a social drinker only so for me having a drink or three makes me feel it is an occasion for me too. I might have 4 drinks a month so I am not near the AA MEMBERSHIP. For me - it is a psychological thing - where I have something to look forward to same as those selecting their menu items.

Like you - I do not want aspiration pneumonia again. I am also carefully sbout all the cleaning that needs to be done. GOID Lord. The amount of time needed to keep extensions and syringes, etc pristine is a lot of work. In canada unless you are below a certain income threshold then you are not covered for delivered no cost supplies. My work medical insurers are assholes and cover very little of my supplies. They will cover G tubes and extensions but nothing else. We both know that is a lot. I therefore work st extending the life of feeding bags, syringes, etc.

Great to talk to you.

Please write whenever you like.

Donna.

(A long time OCF MEMBER - PANDORA is significant of hope.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum