Posted By: sandisays Button Type Feeding Tube - 04-05-2012 01:37 PM
I've had a tube for three years so its not new to me but had to have it replaced in Feb. the ballon type, had to have it replaced in Mar. another ballon type. Now having that one replaced next week with the button type. Needless to say I am frustrated and would like to hear any pros or cons for the button type. I cannot have the type that must be dragged down my throat which is what I had the first time three years ago.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Button Type Feeding Tube - 04-05-2012 05:14 PM
Hi Sandi!

One of our feeding tube 'experts' Charm recently went thru exactly what you are describing. Here are some links to button discussions.

Good luck!!!!

MicKey Button

Charm's tube issues thread
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Button Type Feeding Tube - 04-05-2012 09:49 PM
Sandi

If you are going from a regular G-tube to a low profile or button, then you will really be surprised at how much more comfortable it is than the tube. Both have "balloons" at the end that are inflated with water and hold the tube or button in. I was skeptical at first but now am a true believer. Plus I have done PMs with other OCF members who switched to a button from a tube and they love it also. My idiosyncratic list of pros & cons:
Positives of button:
1 Can be covered with a bandaid for swimming instead of using a third of a roll of press & seal
2. No dangling "cat's tale" to snap in pants or underwear and possibly pull out the tube
3. Can be changed by a caregiver instead of a doctor.
4. Less granulation tissue on stoma
5. Less leakage around the stoma and tube
Negatives of button
1. They average three months before needing a new one while tubes average six months.
2. The anti-reflux valve could clog (the tube has no valve - which is why your stomach contents pour out when you uncap it to put in an extension with the tube but not with the button)

That said, my valve has not clogged at all and I put all types of pills and powders, plus blended regular food down my button. I do think the AMT mini one is better than the Mic-key button but many people love the mic-key and it is the most popular one put in for both tubes and buttons due to market saturation.

Last but not least, there is the possibility that I have misunderstood you and your doctors are planning on putting in a "mushroom" or "button" ended tube that does not use a balloon. In that case, forget all the above. The mushroom is a solid buttton that never breaks or leaks like the balloon. I don't know anyone who has one and their use is not common since the mushroom has to be folded up and pushed with an obduator thru the stoma while the balloon glides in since it's not inflated. They last a long time and many medical articles recommend them. For me, having my wife now able to change my button is very reassuring since one of my feeding tube balloons have burst within a week and my first button's balloon burst in three weeks and I always have to wait 4-5 days before I could get into the Interventional Radiology surgical schedule. That meant keeping the tube in with bandages and tape on my skin. But if your buttons are bursting every month a mushroom ending might be the answer.

It's been a little over three years now that I've only "eaten" thru my feeding tube so I can empathize with your frustration.
Charm
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum