Posted By: DM32ASA Hearing Aids? - 01-31-2010 04:37 PM
I am 4 years out from Treatment.. I had Cisplatin like so many ouf you. I have hearing loss.
I was wondering if anyone has went in and got hearing Aids? I did ask about them years ago, but it would not have helped with the back ground interference. Now days they have come a long way and I understand there might be some hope.

Does anyone have and information on this? and of course any Ins. information?

Thanks ... Diane smile
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Hearing Aids? - 01-31-2010 08:00 PM
I to have high freq loss from Cis but I guess it's not bad enough for me to seek hearing aids or I'm to vain, probably a combo of both. When in doubt I just nod and pretend I know what they just told me. I usually catch up in a short time.
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: Hearing Aids? - 02-01-2010 06:07 AM
Thanks David,

I justed wanted to know if anyone had much luck with one. Not just a regular hearing aid, but one of the newer ones. I can hear but it is very difficult in a crowd or in a car.

Well as far as nodding to this and that it does work until someone looks at you Funny. blush Then you know you just answered wrong!!
I do not have any hang ups about having one. I worked with the deaf community years ago and I know how valuable being able to hear is. Also understand how frustrating it can be when no one understands you.

Thanks,,, bye for now.. Diane
Posted By: EzJim Re: Hearing Aids? - 02-03-2010 07:27 AM
I don't have hearing aids but did have to get tubes put in my ears for HBO treatments. They help the hearing like there are imegaphones in them around loud noise.
Posted By: ESikon Re: Hearing Aids? - 02-03-2010 10:37 PM
I think this is a great question! I'd be interested in some of the responses.

I too got cisplatin and shortly after noticed some hearling loss and ringing in the ears. I had water in my right ear that muffled sounds then it cleared up. I got sick in December and the muffled sound came back. I can hear but it's best if you talk closer to my left side. I've been also been getting a ear popping sensation (like on a plane), I see the audiologist in a couple of weeks so I'll ask about the hearing aids!
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: Hearing Aids? - 04-09-2010 04:23 AM
I have not followed this up yet. When I do I will post what information when I find out. I have been really busy lately with other issues. smile
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: Hearing Aids? - 06-22-2010 02:49 AM
Hi,

Well, I will be having hearing test on June 30th. I will find out if there is any chance of improvement for hearing. It seems like my hearing has become worse. I seem to have more ringing!!

I will report back when I find out some information. Thanks for waiting on this with me.
Take care,
Diane
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: Hearing Aids? - 07-01-2010 02:31 AM
Hi to all,

OK, this is my first day with new hearing aids. I will be going back for adjustments in a week. For the first time I could hear my Turn signal in my car. The hearing aids of today are so much better than they were long time ago. Like anything else you must get use to it. Also you can not even see it for those concerned. I have already noticed I can turn down the TV. I will have to do the same on Husband. Ha ha..

I look forward to testing it out in large crowds or a restaurant. I will post back off and on to let you know how I am doing.

The one I have is by Phonak Audeo-Yes. Here is the web site about it. http://www.phonak.com/us/b2c/en/products/hearing_instruments/audeo_yes/features_and_benefits.html

I hope this will be of some help to others. I have a friend who has same hearing Aid and has problems with back ground noise & loss of high frequency.

I wear glasses and it does not interfere with that. I also have an ear peace for my cell phone which does not interfere with that either. So far so good. grin

Take care Diane

Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Hearing Aids? - 07-01-2010 03:08 AM
speaking of hearing aids, while I don't need them (yet) a friend just got a pair and they have 4 different programs that he can adjust and select by just touching one of them. One setting focuses them on sounds that are really close to you, and masks everything else - another does the exact opposite. Too cool. He is still messing with them to fine tune a setting that will be optimum with his aviation headset. We have come a long way....
Posted By: debandbill Re: Hearing Aids? - 07-01-2010 07:27 PM
Yes, the new digital hearing aids are so much better..as a child I remember my grandfather pulling out the speaking peace for us to talk into.

Bill opted for hearing aids last year amazingly not due to the cisplatin treatment (baseline tests proved that) but an earlier assault on his hearing (some sort of weird vascular issue.)

His aids are very small...programmable and adjustable depending on surrounding conditions like Brian mentioned, for instance, in a noisy restaurant when you just need to hear the people at the table with you and not the background. He just touches the little piece that hides at the back of his ear and it goes to the program he wants. Most people don't notice them.

Only problem with the new top of the line hearing aids is cost...they are terriby expensive ($5000 in our case.) It was a quality of life decision to get them (and quality of marriage!)
They are susceptible to moisture...don't recommend taking them into the shower as Bill has forgetfully done.

Deb
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Hearing Aids? - 07-02-2010 12:30 PM
Man I use to use all sorts of names when I came up behind an old driver with the turn signal constantly on and now I find myself turning mine off after who knows how long it's been flashing!!
Posted By: ElCee Re: Hearing Aids? - 07-05-2010 03:53 PM
Carol is due to get her hearing aids in another week or two. Since she's getting 2 hearing aids, the paperwork takes a little longer but since it's cancer related she'll be easily approved for both. The Dr mentioned they are Digital and that hearing aids have come a long way, but Carol is still picturing the "old" style hearing aids. She will be sooooo happy when she can hear again.

David - LOL. You can't just blame hearing loss for not turning off turn signals nowadays. You have to add cell phones, texting into the mix along with reading the paper, applying makeup, shaving, reprimanding the kids, fixing your hair, arguing with the better half.....oh yeah, playing with the GPS, laptop, mp3, DVD........

Linda
Posted By: zengalib Re: Hearing Aids? - 08-21-2010 05:25 PM
I was told that hearing loss might be a result of the cisplatin - no problem until about 2 months ago in the left ear near where I had my surgery. However, just a day or so ago, I noticed that my hearing in that ear was back. How weird is that?
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum