Posted By: tristeve how long did your throat hurt - 11-20-2009 04:15 PM
Hi, I am 9 weeks port TX, doing fair. Still greatly fatigued. My throat still hurts when I swallow. Do may of you experience the same? Also when I eat, and I am eating ok, each bite is "Bird" sized as opposed to my old self of wolffing food down. Normal?

Thanks, Steve
Posted By: Flip Re: how long did your throat hurt - 11-20-2009 06:12 PM
I am now 5 and a half months out. There is still a bit of pain. There is always some dryness in the back of my throat that makes it a bit tight feeling. I would say for me the actual mouth pain was gone around 4 1/2 to 5 months.
At 9 weeks I was still forcing every bite down. I don't know if I will ever get back to wolfing. While my saliva has come back about 30%, it still makes a difference in how food is chewed and swallowed.
Posted By: Carmen M Re: how long did your throat hurt - 11-20-2009 09:37 PM
I am six months post treatment and still use very small bites and prefer to eat items with high moisture content. I think you may have to suppress the wolf in yourself for a while. smile

In regards to the throat hurting. Mine let up at about 8 weeks - and was definately linked to my increase in water intake. So drink lots of water.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: how long did your throat hurt - 11-21-2009 02:36 AM
Carmen,

I was 15 months post Tx before I really felt my saliva and taste had improved enough to satisfy me.
Posted By: andrew Warrington Re: how long did your throat hurt - 12-02-2009 08:01 PM
still hurting after 4 months throat is dry as hell and still sound like a frog
I wish it would stop so I can get back to normal
Posted By: davidcpa Re: how long did your throat hurt - 12-02-2009 11:12 PM
4 months is still very early in a typical recovery time frame so keep your mouth lubricated and keep a bottle of water with you constantly and give your body much more time and it will recover nicely.
Posted By: Carmen M Re: how long did your throat hurt - 12-02-2009 11:38 PM
Constant hydration is the secret to helping the sore throat. I know it is a vicous circle - cuz it hurts to swollow the water. As far as that Frog that is residing in your throat - mine is still very raspy almost 7 months post treatment. I choose to think of it as a sexy voice. LOL
Posted By: tristeve Re: how long did your throat hurt - 12-03-2009 12:14 AM
thanks everyone. I am trying to driks lots of fluid. The thicker stuff goes down well, ensure muscel milk. Watter is still a challange. I can only take sips, but a bunch of sops equals an ounce and over the day I can drink a ok amount.

Yes David, I am now in the legion of folks who have a water bottle around.

I also wanted to give you all a general BIG THANK YOU
This is a great forum and I look forward to reading, getting advice and giving it.

Steve
Posted By: David2 Re: how long did your throat hurt - 12-03-2009 06:43 PM
Steve, yeah, this IS a great forum and I've learned a tremendous amount in the last 5 months here. All I can do is second David 1's comments as well as the others'. I'm 9 months post surgery and 6 post RT and it still hurts to swallow, I take tiny bites with plenty of water, etc., etc. We'll both get better!

David the Second
Posted By: William1949 Re: how long did your throat hurt - 12-03-2009 07:44 PM
It was 9 to 11 months post tx that I felt a real "lift". Today, all is good but not like before and will never be when it comes to eating and swallowing certain foods. Can definitely live with that!
Posted By: irishmist Re: how long did your throat hurt - 12-07-2009 07:57 PM
5 mos post radiation. Feeding tube removed in 90 days. Still drink 90-120 oz water per day. Throat hurts after eating hard foods, i.e. chips or pretzels. Still small bites. Still no saliva or very little being produced. I have a mind set that says to do all things I did before the chemo and radiation and force the body to keep up.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum