Posted By: WendyG Fatigue - 07-18-2009 01:48 AM
Hi everyone, just need a bit of advise. Steve is 5 days into a 35 dose radiation. He also had cisplatin 4 days ago. So far he's been going really well but last night and today he is extremely tired. He slept for almost 15 hours last night and is now back in bed, where he's been for 2 hours already. Is this normal? I know fatigue is a side effect but should he be this tired, this early? Any helpful advise would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: WendyG Re: Fatigue - 07-18-2009 01:50 AM
sorry, posted in the wrong spot. Should have put it in currently in treatment but figure you guys will be able to help anyway hopefully
Posted By: AmyK Re: Fatigue - 07-18-2009 09:05 PM
Wendy,
I'll I did was sleep. I was also taking Ativan, so...
Make sure he stays hydrated, isn't running a fever. But, I would say if the guy wants to sleep and that's the only side effect its pretty normal. Or it was for me. Might be a sign of depression also.
Amy
Posted By: JAM Re: Fatigue - 07-19-2009 12:19 AM
Wendy,
Sleeping is very normal at this stage and please be prepared for the fact that he may want to only get out of bed to do his treaments and then get back in bed until the next one. You will need to keep up with the amount of liquids and calories he is consuming daily during this time- [monitor his weight and most importantly his liquids so he doesn't get dehydrated] You might want to get some Pedialyte [found in the baby isle in gro. stores] in the pantry - it is good for replenishing electrolytes
quickly - Gatoraide also helps- you don't want to have to haul him to the ER for an IV if you can help it. If he doesn't want to eat or drink during rad- it's gonna be tough but you need to stay on top of that. Are you charting his liquid and calorie intake daily? Amy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum