Posted By: ChristineB Dental surgery today - 03-04-2009 10:57 PM
This morning was the hopefully last surgery I will need to recover from OC. Due to some after effects from radiation, my teeth needed to all be removed. Going into the OC battle my teeth werent the best. Unfortunatley radiation did alot of damage to them no matter how much I tried to prevent it.

Im home for a few hours. Chipmunk cheeks and a sore swollen nose. The doc must put me to sleep thru a nasal tube due to another lovely after effect trismus. Overall. Im doing ok. Its not easy to drink which I know I must do. Thru all this, I continue to tell myself its almost over and Ive gone thru worse, much worse.

Here I thought 2009 would be my year. Now its gonna be 2010 is the year I can call myself better smile

Wishing everyone here the best with their own battles!
Posted By: EzJim Re: Dental surgery today - 03-05-2009 01:18 AM
Christine, I sure am glad to see you post. I wondered most of the day how it went and how you feel.You are a toughy Mam and are coming out on top and maybe quicker than you think.
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: Dental surgery today - 03-05-2009 02:13 AM
Hey Christine...instead of waiting till 2010 for a better year you are just having a delayed new year starting the first day of spring!!! lol We can measure with any time period we want!
Posted By: PharmGirl Re: Dental surgery today - 03-05-2009 03:12 AM
Hang in there Christine!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Dental surgery today - 03-05-2009 04:28 PM
Thanks for the well wishes. Today is a little better. Bleeding has stopped and the swelling isnt as bad. My mouth hurts but that is to be expected. For some reason my neck hurts more than my mouth. Doc must have really fought to get those teeth out.

Surprisingly I can talk pretty well without teeth. Im sure my speech will be more clear when the swelling is gone. Hope to be back to work and talking close to normal on Monday.
Posted By: Maria G Re: Dental surgery today - 03-09-2009 05:46 PM
HI Christine,
Glad everything went well. How many HBO tx did you have prior to getting your teeth out? I am cancer free for ten years and now all my dental work (mucho money) is loose. My oral surgeons appt is today and I am wondering what is next??? Do they fit you with dentures right away?? My problem area is my right lower, so hopefully I won't have to have my teeth extracted.
We will see.... I am not looking forward to the Medical scene again.... Maria
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Dental surgery today - 03-09-2009 07:51 PM

Maria

I had 55 HBO last year. That was due to not recovering from my second round of OC very well. This year, I have had 20 before the dental extractions and currently doing minimum 10 after. In my case, the answer to your denture question is unfortunately no, I will not be fitted for dentures for at least 6 months. Healing takes much longer for OC patients. It cant be rushed or complications could happen like ORN.
Posted By: Good1 Re: Dental surgery today - 03-09-2009 08:32 PM
Christine,

So glad to see that you are up and about better than the past few days. Has the pain gotten better?

Patty
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Dental surgery today - 03-09-2009 11:18 PM
Thanks Patty

Im still struggling to get better. Everyday is only just a tiny bit better. Having some trouble again with low blood pressure 90/50, wasnt feeling the best. Restarted the HBO so very soon will be feeling better.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Dental surgery today - 03-09-2009 11:41 PM
Hi Christine...have you gone back to work? If so, how did that go?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Dental surgery today - 03-10-2009 12:28 AM

Today started the final 10 HBOs. Took another vac day. It took everythign out of me just going to the HBO. Not sure if I will go tomorrow yet or not, maybe another vac day. I have alot of days I can use, so its ok. Ive already gone back too soon and had a set back so am trying to build myself up alittle before I go back.

The stitches in my mouth bother me and talking isnt easy. People do seem to understand me which was my biggest fear. If I cant talk right, I cant do customer service.

Hope you feel better and lets just chalk this up to being a Monday for both of us.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Dental surgery today - 03-10-2009 01:27 AM
Geez Christine , you aren't superlady. LOL You have been thru a war and your body is getting to the Rest and Relaxation stage. You are a tough lady for sure.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum