Posted By: angels1313 Completed my last radiation treatment today - 12-09-2008 09:28 PM
My certificate says: Certificate Of Merit

For completeion of the prescribed course of Radiation Therapy with the highest degree of Courage, Determination and Good Nature. We appreciate the confidence placed in us and the oppertunity to serve you!

I am so glad I have finished my treatments but I won't know if it has worked until later. My question is if there is anything I should not do as far as getting other other medical problems done. My RO told me I could go ahead and get the bone fixed in my mouth but it sure seems a little soon.

Thanks to all of you for helping me through this tough process of Chemo and Radiation. Angel
That's cute.
My RO had alot of restrictions with regard to work being done in the mouth - no dental work for at least 3 and preferably 6 months, etc. I would double check with him on the timing of further work.

Congrats on finishing radiation - cute certificate!

Donna

Congrats on finishing your treatments.

Dental work may require hyperbaric oxygen treatments (HBO). Ask you dentist/doctor about it.

Posted By: Ray1971 Re: Completed my last radiation treatment today - 12-10-2008 02:04 PM
congratulations! now, remember it's baby steps...not day to day but rather week to week you'll notice improvements
As always it is wonderful to hear great news... time to "do the dance"...
Posted By: Gary Re: Completed my last radiation treatment today - 12-10-2008 06:24 PM
Let the healing begin!

I have a few suggestions:

1. Be on the lookout for thrush and get on it early.

2. Stay away from sick people, especially children. Your immune system will be toast for quite a while. Stay away from public places, don't touch door handles, public digital key pads (ATM's gas stationes, etc., shopping cart handles and carry waterless hand cleaner with you if you do. Wash your hands frequently. Wear gloves

3. DON'T SCRATCH the irradiated area!

4. Make sure you have plenty of fiber in your diet if you are still on narcotics.

5. Stay on top of nutrition and fluid intake.

6. Experiment with eating different foods orally as soon as you can. Don't be discouraged - you will get your sense of taste back fairly quickly.

7. Mucositus is a toughy but all of a sudden it will diminish - be patient there as well. Sleep slightly elevated and try to clear your throat before attempting to eat anything.

The radiation damage will continue for some weeks after "beam off". I didn't start to turn the corner until many weeks after beam off and I actually continued to slide downhill. It requires even more patience because many think that the end of radiation is the turning point. It is a milestone to be sure, but the real perceptible differences and progress will be measured in three week intervals at this early stage. Don't let this discourage you - just be aware that this comes with the territory and is normal.

Congratulations on completing all of your prescribed treatment plan. According to my MO that ups your survival odds considerably.

Awesome that you're done and no more putting on the mask! Ditto a lot of Gary's comments. Now let the healing begin and know that it's going to take a while to get the radiation out of your system.
Congratulations on finishing!

Regarding the dentist: My husband's last rad was on October 20 and he went for a dental cleaning on Monday (seven weeks out). While it was a bit uncomfortable, he's glad he went because he already has two small cavities. The dentist said that the mucositis, lack of saliva and especially the thrush he had in September all made those two cavities highly likely.

The next few weeks are probably going to be pretty rough, but you will get through! You will probably be very tired. Take it easy on yourself as much as you are able.
You all are a great bunch of folks. I am glad you've given me all the info to remember as I do have a tendency to forget some of these very important things and some of them I didn't even know (thanks Gary). I like to have got in trouble already with getting dehydrated and my lack of eating but I have got a better hold on that and am feeling better. It is so easy to forget to get enough nourishment down when it has been so long since you have eaten. I am keeping up the water, ensure, grape juice and gravey. God Bless you all! Angel
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum