Posted By: girlcat36 Radiation and weight loss - 11-20-2007 06:14 PM
I fared well through my treatments, only losing 4 lbs. Yet the recent terminal illness and subsequent death of my father 3 months out of my treatment, and the caregiving it required, caused me to lose another 10 lbs which I cannot seem to regain. I am eating fine--no problems there. My MO said that radiation therapy increases one's metabolism. This is the first I have heard of this. Was anyone else told this? The inability to gain the weight back while being able to eat anything is frustrating me. I know 10 lbs. doesn't sound like a lot, but I am pretty small.
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: Radiation and weight loss - 11-21-2007 11:36 AM
I had something similar.

Throughout treatments I pretty much held my weight steady, however after the radiation was completed I lost another 15#. At that point I was getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 calories a day (lots of chocolate chip cookies and Ice Cream.... man I miss those days).

After about 9 weeks post rad, the free fall stopped and about a month later my weight started pushing up again. My docs did tell me that the treatments affected metabolism and did not seem to concerned, but did want the weight back up.

Kevin
Posted By: John N Re: Radiation and weight loss - 11-21-2007 12:54 PM
I lost 20 lbs in radiation and I did not start gaining it for 6-12 mos after.
Posted By: Gary Re: Radiation and weight loss - 11-21-2007 09:55 PM
I lost 61 lbs and gained about 1/2 back. I am 5 years out from Dx as of tomorrow. I am very happy with my weight today.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum