Posted By: keith WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-11-2007 03:15 AM
Haven't posted in quite awhile, but I just wanted to get it out there that I am now post treatment and it's getting better every day!!!!

Last radiation treatment was on 8-7-07. I had my PEG removed just 6 weeks later. I actually cried when I got my first sip of water down without choking!! I knew it wouldn't be long till that nasty ass PEG hit the road.

That thing was so much trouble. I never could get used to the feedings. Constant nausea and vomiting. I lost 50 lbs!! I'm looking pretty good, though. My doc called me "slightly obese" just before my surgery in March. Pretty hot now, though!! Just imagine if I had opted to not get a PEG! I'd be too hot to handle (except for all these scars on my face and neck)!

I did spend a couple of days in the hospital for dehydration, too. I highly suggest this if you get to feeling a bit lonely at home. Damn nurses won't leave you alone for two minutes. They gotta check this, or adjust that, or fluff this... Oy Vay!! I won't even get into the guy in the other bed. He didn't sound that sick to me. Send his crabby ass home, already. He's been threatening to leave for 5 hours. Let him go!

As for the radiation treatments, I can't say enough good things about those ladies there!! What a fantastic group. They rubbed my back everytime I threw up all over the place and never complained once. At least not while I was around. They also had to endure my "take my mind off things" music for 30 days. Same songs, day after day, after day, after day... Even I can't stand Michael Buble anymore!!! One of them even asked to borrow one of the songs for her sister's wedding. I know she was full of crap. They do or say anything to make you feel better. So Sweet!!

Now I'm home recuperating. Eating is a chore. I used to love to eat (hence the slightly obese comment). Now I dread meal time. By the time I make it through breakfast, it's time to start on lunch. One bite of food, three gulps of water. I have to drink so much to get the food down that I'm full before I really had anything to eat.

Oh yeah, this dry mouth thing, pain in the ass. I never was a big water drinker before all of this. Now? Thank heaven it's free. I think I spend more time pissing than I do breathing!! That includes about four trips out of bed every night. My kidneys are exhausted.

Speaking of exhaustion. I was doing pretty good about three weeks after I finished treatment, but all of a sudden, the last couple of weeks, I feel completely drained again. I spend alot of time sitting on the couch, if I'm not in bed (sometimes twelve hours a night). That's minus the bathroom trips, of course! All things in time, I guess.

Anyway, that's just some of what I've been going through. I'll fill you in on more later. And believe me there is more. THE HAIR LOSS, THE MUCUS, THE DEPRESSION, THE STARES, THE INCESSANT SYMPATHY, THE DIZZY SPELLS... Who new cancer was so much fun.
Posted By: Cookey Re: WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-11-2007 04:29 AM
hey Keith

great news and sounds like all is on schedule.
love your attitude its just spot on.

all the best love liz
Posted By: brenfran25 Re: WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-11-2007 06:27 AM
Oh Keith,
What a sense of humour!
Your poat cheered me up and I'm sure it will for others too!

Brenda
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-11-2007 08:55 AM
Great post Keith!!

Sums it all up VERY well !

Been there, dun that, bought the TEE-Shirt

KC
Posted By: Donnarose Re: WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-11-2007 11:28 AM
Keith,
Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to print this for my mom, she is having such a rough time lately. Maybe reading your hilarious post will give her some hope and laughter.
Donna
Posted By: Mel_in_CA Re: WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-11-2007 06:41 PM
Keith-
Your post cracked me up. Just so you know, 2 months out of my radiation I sat down to eat a bowl of canned chicken noodle soup. My husband left to go on an errand and 45 minutes later he came back and I was still eating it.

Today (6 months later), I stopped at Taco Bell and had a bean burrito and regular taco, and drank a soda(no ice, slightly flat) in small sips to help swallow it. Delicious. It gets so much better.
Melissa
Posted By: keith Re: WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-12-2007 03:14 PM
thanks Mel_in_CA.

I am so looking forward to someday eating near normal again. I'm just afraid when I can I will put on too much weight. I LOVE TO EAT!!
Posted By: Gary Re: WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-13-2007 01:59 AM
Keith,
Oh did that bring back some memories! Especially the music - I burned my own CD and listened to it every single day in RT. Must have driven them nuts. I knew exactly how much time I had left on the table by what part of what song was playing. I would crank it so loud they could hear it through the lead lined doors ha ha!

I had nightmares about puking in the mask (and subsequently choking on my own vomit - but hey I'd have some great company, Janis, Jimi, Keith Richards, Jim Morrison, etc.) but it never happened. I was pretty sick from the chemo for a long time however. You're right on about the RT techs they were great. I still stop in to visit them from time to time to let them know that some people actually live through this (My tech confided in me that they felt terrible about how beat up people got from the radiation).

I never got the PEG - went AMA and lost 60 lbs (screw the PEG). Put 30 back on and stopped there - perfect weight (BMI). It forced me to eat and drink orally and I think that helped me transition to real food much faster - but I had to take huge amounts of narcotics to pull it off - not for the weak or faint of heart ;-)

I had to be rehydrated too but after one trip to the ER figured out I can have it done faster and far more comfortable in the infusion unit (with real oncology nurses (they're the best).

Great post! Tells it like it is.

It'll get better - I promise.
Posted By: angie88 Re: WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-29-2007 01:12 PM
I never had a peg tube but did lose 60lbs and let me tell everyone asks how I lost the weight but no one wants to join the program... I'm glad that you are feeling better. And I'm glad that we had the weight to lose.
Posted By: Mary1971 Re: WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-29-2007 07:43 PM
Keith, I wish I could have read this post 3 years ago. If it made me laugh this hard 3 years out I am positive it would have done a world of wonders for me then. Thanks for making me see the humor in it.
When I was bolted down for the 1st time, I was afraid the "zap" of radiation hurt. No one told me. You can imagine how hard they laughed behind my back when I began asking those type of ?'s. Get this one. I was 6 months pregnant and a lead shield had to be built around my belly every time I took radiation . One day, the techs had it almost completely in place and I began throwing up. They had to lift it up quickly and imagine a young man trying to hold onto the shield WITHOUT taking any lead pieces out! (I think the table held 9-12 lead shields.) Bless him for trying to save me from choking on my vomit.
Posted By: Steve F. Re: WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-29-2007 10:45 PM
Keith--All too familiar (but what a great twist)!!

Melissa, I agree with your comments,and I still eat slow, but bigosh I'm eating!! Funny you mention the soda with no ice and flat. I still can't handle ice at all and have probably drank a half a dozen cokes in the past year (Used to do that many in a day!!). I remember my first attempt at Taco Bell, the refried beans loved attaching themselves to the roof of my mouth, but about a gallon of water later I finished my meal (All ONE bean burrito)!! Peanut butter really has to be a trip!!
That table and those locks---WOW, what memories. I have my masks out for halloween (Yeah, two masks, thanks to the chemo/rad slim fast diet), think I'll bolt them to the trees tomorrow--LOL!!
Oh the places we will go!!!

Laugh On...... It's really great medicine!!
Steve
Posted By: Mel_in_CA Re: WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-30-2007 09:19 PM
I still eat more slowly than the average person which helps me stay thin. But the days of taking over an hour to eat are long gone, thank goodness!
Drinking soda is new, for about 5 months after radiation I still couldn't handle anything carbonated. The only things I can't eat are spicy or acidic things.
I never used to eat at Taco Bell, now I go there like once or twice a week. A full meal for $2.95, who can beat that!
Posted By: JeffL Re: WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-30-2007 10:43 PM
I have to jump in here -- this is just too much!!! Yep, I eat more slowly than before, but not embarassingly so any more. I can drink soda fine, and some spicy foods, but I just can't bring myself to do Taco Bell . . .

The music during radiation was a game between the techs and me. They were all about 25 years younger than me, so I kept asking for different stuff. One week the Beach Boys, the next Sinatra, etc. Drove them crazy. My favorite was when I asked for Alice Cooper . . .

If you had asked me 7 months ago when I was diagnosed if I would be laughing about radiation treatment today, I would have suggested you see a shrink . . . in a hurry! The mind is an amazing critter . . .
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-31-2007 09:08 AM
Peanut butter and honey has been one of the things that has been a staple for me. Why doesn't it stick? No clue! But hey, whatever works, right?

Taco Bell???!!!???
Well with my taste buds mutated into their new existence, maybe worth a try....

Like Gary, I took my own CD's in, and boy the looks from those young techs smile I figured I may as well have as much fun with that as I could. I was amazed that they had NEVER heard of Emerson, Lake and Palmer... I think I converted one of them smile
Posted By: Tammy63 Re: WELL, THAT WAS FUN!! - 10-31-2007 10:49 PM
Kevin, I will going going through this come mid November no set date as of yet. You made we worried then crying then laughing. I am glad you are on your way to recovery I can't wait til I can say. Just please keep use laughing.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum