Posted By: jennie FOOD - 03-25-2006 03:03 PM
I have read and read on the forum about foods. Erik is almost done with treatment. YEAH!!! As Many of you have experienced he has no sense of taste right now. But he is as hungry as a bear. He is getting 7+ cans of food by PEG, but he is still hungry (I think some of it is in his head, he thinks he should be eating by mouth) Nothing tastes and most everything burns, is there anything that might come through with flavor that could satisfy him? All milk products cause terrible lactose problems! I think it would be great to start a thread with just recipes that worked so we could all try them too!!!
Posted By: wilckdds Re: FOOD - 03-25-2006 04:30 PM
Hi Jennie,

If you go to the top of this page and click on search (it is just under New Topic and Post Reply) you will get a search engine for the forum.

I typed in "food" and then did another search for "recipes". There is a lot here that I have seen over the past year as many people have asked the same questions.

Good luck and I hope that Erik is doing better real soon.

Jerry
Posted By: Erik Kleiva Re: FOOD - 03-26-2006 03:35 AM
Jennie. He should be eating by mouth if he is able & supplement with peg feeding or vice versa. He'll have to experiment to see what tastes good that he can swallow. Erik
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: FOOD - 04-10-2006 12:34 PM
Jennie,

Hope all is ok. the first thing I could eat was oat meal. I could only eat a little bit but it gave me the feeling & satisfaction of eating.

Plus it did not hurt my mouth!

DM
Posted By: lenny polizzi Re: FOOD - 04-10-2006 09:47 PM
Hello Jennie,
The first things that I could eat were yogurt, Tapioca pudding and I don't suggest he try this one but it worked for me and god knows as to why but artichoke salsa (mild) and scrabbled eggs. We all react to different things but I know the feeling about being hungry as a bear, I could not wait to get rid of that dreaded, yet life sustaining, PEG tube. The one thing that is foe sure is that I kept trying something everyday and things that did not work I went back to them in a few weeks, now I can eat most everything and about 80% of my taste is back and I am only 4 months after radiation(33 IMRT sessions) and three months tomorrow post neck dissection, Hang in there and tell your husband to keep pushing ahead and look for small gains and victories, they add up. Always lenny
Posted By: JAM Re: FOOD - 04-10-2006 10:27 PM
Beef bullion, chicken broth, any clear consomme would be a good place to start "taste testing". Can he chew and swallow? That will help to let us know more ideas to send you. Amy
Posted By: r.duff Re: FOOD - 04-11-2006 02:36 AM
Jennie,
My husband found cream of wheat went down fairly easily, also oatmeal(watery), broth was tasty too. Careful with the spices though, they burn easily. Jello was good for him too . Hope this helps, Robin
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum