Posted By: JohnLowes Donor leg pain after fibula free flap surgery - 03-10-2023 11:09 PM
Anyone having had fibula free flap reconstruction after a mandiblectomy having mild pain in the lower leg of the donor leg? I have noticed sensitivity in the ankle when crossing my legs and also pain in the upper leg behind the leg. I think I read someone’s comment about their ankle joint instability and their orthopedic surgeon recommended surgery to stabilize the joint by attaching the remaining bone to the tibia with screws. My ENT surgeon promised me that the scar tissue would hold everything in place 🙄 I’m seeking others experience one way or the other. This started after six weeks in a walking boot and three - four weeks after getting out of the boot. Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Most people including me have some ankle issues after the fibula free flap. They are not major but noticeable. It hurts mildly when I walk a lot some days. If you think about it what remains of the fibula down there is just hanging out in space, so the small amount of rotational torque it prevents when it ran all the way to your knee area isn’t there any longer. This isn’t dangerous unless you are doing some extreme loading of it. That should not happen in normal peoples lives. I’ve never heard of a person have a second surgery to stabilize it. You are missing a bone that was there for a purpose, a minor one, but designed into your leg by evolution to be there. You should expect it not to be perfect, but completely safe to live with in my opinion thinking of the hundred or so people who over a few decades I’ve seen have this done.
Hi
I’m going on 6 weeks post free flap surgery. They took the donor site after on Feb 20,2024 the original operation was Jan 30 to move the fibula to my mouth.
I currently am still in the boot. I have noticed some numbness on left side of foot and lower leg where the graft was taken. I know that things will be different now probably when I can walk with out the boot.
I definitely was not prepared for this surgery. I wish everyone good luck in their journeys. I’m happy we have a place to talk.
AML leukemia 1999
Oral cancer 2022
Oral cancer 2024
Nancy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum