Posted By: DavidUofMsavedMe My Post-Treatment Updates - 03-20-2020 09:29 PM
Day 8: I seem to be developing an itchy rash on my lower legs. Took some pictures and used a patient app to message one of my team doctors, who I am seeing next week. No signs of a rash on my upper body or arms yet. No fever. No sneezing or coughing. Just an itchy rash. Could be worse.

My tongue seems to be healing well since the end of my radiation treatment last week. The sores are not hurting as much right now. Mucus thickness has declined. Not drooling as much anymore at night. I am eating a pot pie soaked in cream of chicken soup thinned with milk. Able to swallow without choking on small chunks of food. Woo! A few days ago I was limited to cream of wheat and ensure.

My neck burn is not peeling anymore. Happy to keep my daily intake up every day. I try to take a walk when I can and had my bike fixed so I can take a ride the next warm day we get here.
Posted By: DavidUofMsavedMe Re: My Post-Treatment Updates - 04-22-2020 12:40 AM
Day 40: My daily intake has been going great. I can eat most of what I want with limitations. Anything too chewy is out, like fresh veggies. Some foods will sometimes irritate the back of my mouth/throat.

Staying at home for the most part, except to pick up groceries ( with a mask) and prescriptions. Speaking of which, I had a video visit with my PCP today and was prescribed Gabapentin (Neurontin) for the neck dissection nerve pain that I've been having since surgery. Hoping it helps to alleviate the nerve pain. 🤔

A recent blood draw revealed that my white blood cells have rebounded and most other numbers are looking good. But I still have anemia. Could be from the treatment I figure, or it might be still ongoing from before my cancer diagnosis last fall. Not sure which.

My energy levels have improved quite a bit since I came home from Ann Arbor where I had my treatment. I don't need to take naps during the day anymore, but I do go to bed early so I can get about 10 hours of sleep. I go on walks around the neighborhood on nice days or ride my bike. Looking forward to the gym opening up so I can restart my strength training.

I will be having my 3 month post- treatment PET scan in June, as long as the coronavirus lockdown is lifted by then. Hanging in there...
Posted By: DavidUofMsavedMe Re: My Post-Treatment Updates - 05-19-2020 04:17 PM
Day 70: Hard to believe that 70 days have passed since I came home from Ann Arbor after undergoing treatment.

I've been seeing a therapist by video for lymphedema in my neck that has continued to worsen since ending treatment. I have to do manual drainage massages every day to help reduce it. I ordered a compression garment today suggested by my therapist to aid in reducing the swelling as well.

Has anyone else here had head and neck lymphedema after completing treatment?

On an unrelated note, today has been a rough day because my cat passed away this morning. She was 19 years old. RIP Samantha...
Posted By: DavidUofMsavedMe Re: My Post-Treatment Updates - 06-10-2020 08:48 PM
Day 89: I had my 3 month post-treatment PET scan yesterday and met with my ENT/surgeon today. The results are fantastic. Cancer free! What a relief. Woot!
Posted By: gmcraft Re: My Post-Treatment Updates - 06-11-2020 01:27 PM
Congratulations!
Posted By: Dizz_zzey Re: My Post-Treatment Updates - 06-18-2020 07:42 PM
Fantastic news
Posted By: Jdouble7 Re: My Post-Treatment Updates - 11-26-2022 01:26 PM
Any updates? Sorry about Samantha, 19 years with your favorite cat is pretty amazing 😁
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum