Posted By: Bethesda Post Treatment PET CT Questions - 02-15-2020 06:31 PM
I was diagnosed with base of tongue scc HPV 16+. Seven weeks of treatment with chemo-radiation. I am now 4 months out from treatment and feeling mostly better. Had a PET CT last week. Results were basically good with some minor concern.
Lymph nodes are clean and no spread to other parts of the body. While the SUV score fell from 10 to 5, it still suggests some persistent PET activity. The images showed the tumor gone ( it was 3cm x3cm x 2cm originally). But there was color (yellow/orange) showing modest "activity" at the very top of the tumor void about 1/20 the size of the color activity on original PET. Both the ENT and Radiation Oncologist said "not to worry" probably just "post treatment changes" Doc said radiation continues to work for 6 months and he will do another PET CT then. Both docs scoped me and reporting "seeing nothing".

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Posted By: ConnieT Re: Post Treatment PET CT Questions - 02-16-2020 03:01 AM
sounds similar to my husbands results a little over a year ago. they are now going to possibly do a biopsy on the area that was still lit up and larger than a year ago. Will know in the next week on that but it's good to stay up on follow up appts just to be sure.

Often the area still lit up is settling down from radiation and inflamed. Hard for them to know 100% of the time.

Take care of yourself and best wishes for continued healing and getting back to normal life!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum