Posted By: Charly1 NeutraSal anyone? - 07-22-2019 11:09 PM
Hey All,

I'm 4 months out from last treatment and my mouth feels as dry as it did 4 months ago. Well....not quite, but almost. I'm still on a liquid diet. I drink 5 Ensure Plus' (350 calories each) a day to reach my minimum caloric intake to maintain my weight. It is still very difficult for me to swallow anything but liquids because of my dry throat. I had my esophagus checked last week to make sure it didn't need to be dilated, and it didn't. So definitely related to saliva, and my loss of appetite does not help. I went to my dentist for the first time since treatment last Thursday and my gums looked good, but I have 7 cavities!! The Ensure is horrible for my teeth. Anyway........my dentist prescribed me NeutraSal. I looked it up and it sounds really promising for improvement in saliva, speaking, tasting and eating. Of course it was THEIR site. LOL

Has anyone out there tried that product?

Posted By: CM57 Re: NeutraSal anyone? - 07-23-2019 08:22 AM
Hi Charly,

Yes, I was using NuetraSal. My Radiation Oncologist was able to order it somehow, shipped to my home, and directly have it covered through my Prescription plan.
I did find that it gave me some temporary relief from dry mouth. I never had it as bad as some other people, so I probably didn't use it as regularly as I should have, so I don't know if the overall benefits would have been better if I did.
I was relying more on Magic Rinse to help with getting my mouth back to normal.
But I wanted to mention your dental health. Lack of saliva promotes cavities, so I highly suggest you get fluoride trays. They are just plastic molds of your teeth, and you put a thin strip of a prescription flouride paste in them, and leave on your mouth so the fluoride soaks into your teeth. There are verying opinions how long to leave them in, so I would leave that up to your Dentist or Oncologist.
Also, make sure to use a non alcohol mouthwash.
If you don't use the Flouride trays, ACT makes a green fluoride rinse, which has a neat little measuring spout built in, so you get the correct amount of rinse.
As far as calories, you can get a BOOST VHC drink that is over 500 calories, but it is pretty thick. But it may be a good way to get used to swallowing soft foods. I think you can only find it mail order. If you Google it, a few companies come up with a promotional price, and you have to order through that link, or the price will show higher.
Sorry that I went so far off topic, but yes, the NuetraSal would be a beneficial treatment, and I hope you are better then I was at keeping to the suggested frequency of rinsing with it.
Stay well!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum