Posted By: sooner Update and Encouragement - 12-26-2018 01:03 AM
My husband finished his treatments in April of 2017. I spent a lot of time on this forum when he was in treatment and during the post treatment phase as he had a lot of difficulty returning to eating and maintaining his weight even with a PEG tube. I am indebted to many on this board, especially Christine, for support and encouragement that got me through as a caregiver and advocate. I just wanted to check in let everyone know he is doing so well! I see my signature did not make it through one of the updates but he had Stage 4, BOT. PEG removed early in his recovery. My husband has returned to work full-time, talks, eats most things and has no difficulty maintaining his weight. Don't get me wrong, it is not like before the cancer but life is very, very good and so much better than on the bad days I ever thought it could be. So, for all of you that are in the struggle, please hang in there and know that very slowly, over time things can get better. I often said that to both of us his recovery seemed to move at the speed of a glacier before global warming. We are not patient people. The truth is for most people the recovery just does not move as quickly as we want it to move. The truth is calories matter in recovery. Make it happen. Sending you positive thoughts on your journey. Just wanted to say thank you to OCF again.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Update and Encouragement - 12-26-2018 02:22 PM
Thanks, Sooner, for the update.

It’s indeed very encouraging for those who are in the midst of their treatments to hear your husband is doing so well.

Wishing you happy holidays!
Posted By: embishop Re: Update and Encouragement - 12-27-2018 04:32 PM
Thank you so much for posting this. I finished treatment in July and went back to work Oct/Nov but don’t feel at all back to normal yet, or I guess the right way to say it would be I don’t feel settled into a new normal yet. Your post is encouraging for me.
Posted By: ConnieT Re: Update and Encouragement - 12-28-2018 03:35 AM
thank you for the update. I cannot imagine life returning anywhere near back to normal but maybe it will. We are waiting to hear results from a biopsy on Wednesday. If it's still cancerous, I'm sure he will just give up which is pretty close to where he's been at since August.

Best wishes in your moving forward in life!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Update and Encouragement - 01-13-2019 08:57 PM
You're welcome!!! Sharing and helping is what we are here for. We're all in this together to help make the entire horrible ordeal as easy as possible for each other. The dark days of OC are some of the worst days Ive ever had. Then an extra long recovery with extremely slow progress on top of it can really make the whole thing even worse. It always goes back to the intake... the better a patient does with their intake, the easier everything is.

Best wishes to you and your husband with everything!!!
Posted By: VirgoMomof3Boys Re: Update and Encouragement - 01-19-2019 03:05 AM
Hello Sooner,

Thank you so much for the update. How encouraging!! I guess I stumbled on your message during a good time. I finished my radiation last week and had my first post-radiation doctor appointment today and took a bit of a tongue lashing for losing weight. So your message just reiterates that I need to work harder on my intake to have the calories needed to get through this. Best wishes for a continued happy and healthy life with your spouse!
Posted By: Jdouble7 Re: Update and Encouragement - 11-26-2022 01:57 PM
Would you mind sharing anything that seems to be lingering? Things that are completely back to normal? Things that are not?
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum