Posted By: ConnieT Update from CT scan - 11-15-2018 06:12 PM
saw radiologist today and he did a scope plus CT scan yesterday. tumor has shrunk and his throat looks good except for epiglottis is raw.

He continued to tell them that he does all the nutrition he should though they know the truth. You don't lost 60 lbs in 2.5 months doing the correct nutrition.

He has never had his taste affected, he barely took pain meds. I call him quite fortunate.

They did say to him that of course he is tired but he's probably seriously lacking in minerals and vitamins from lack of nutrition for so long and told him that he should be trying to eat all the things I've offered and he has refused. Good for him to hear it from someone else but I doubt it sticks.

just thought I would update.
Posted By: KristenS Re: Update from CT scan - 11-15-2018 07:52 PM
Glad to hear the tumor is going down!

Does he take anything for reflux? I'm on Prilosec pretty much permanently these days, and it does help ... not sure if it's something he needs or is even ready for, but it might help. Worth asking. Though I've also learned it affects B12 absorption (which I struggle with).

Does he have a plan for going forward, other than working on nutrition?

And ((hugs)) to you!
Posted By: ConnieT Re: Update from CT scan - 11-16-2018 12:14 AM
he has taken prilosec and similar stuff for over 20 yrs. He did admit that a lot of his problem is that he eats and then lays down. He has done that for over 20 yrs too. I'm supposed to pick up some patches for the nausea. They suggested he use the numbing stuff and/or Tylenol for the pain of swallowing since he won't take pain meds prescribed and try to start swallowing more than water.

Dec 18th is his PET scan. Dec 20th is the follow up with the oncologist and radiologist. I've got to call to find out when the appt with ENT is scheduled.

Other than nutrition, there are no other plans in place other than follow up every so many months.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum