Hi all,

My mom has Stage 2 oral cancer...it has not spread to her LN but they are going to remove them as a precaution during her upcoming surgery. We are told she’ll have a temporary trach & NG feeding tube for a few weeks.

How comfortable / uncomfortable are these and can
She shower or bathe with them?

Thank you!
I haven't had either of those, but I had a stomach feeding tube. I was able to bathe, carefully. If I recall correctly, I could even shower if I was really careful and wrapped up the opening and tube very well. I would imagine that bathing would be okay for the trach and nose feeding tube, since they would be easier to keep out of the water. Mobility (pain, basically) would be your first issue. Sorry I can't answer to that one, but someone should be able to help with that ... just wanted to make sure you had some sort of answer to start off with.
Hi Michelle,

I currently have a feeding tube (stomach) and an open trach (stoma) and I'm able to shower without any issues. I do need to keep the stoma covered to avoid water getting inside (which causes you to cough since it's going into your lungs) but that's not too difficult to do - especially if they give you the "visor" that is used to help keep water out. My G tube only needs to be dried very well or you end up with granulation - which you need silver nitrate to get rid of (owe!).

I hope this helps somewhat...

Susan
I had the feeding tube and the trach for a short period of time. The feeding tube was uncomfortable getting removed and put back in, but it was a godsend not having to swallow bland food or ensure, etc. I wish I had one before i basically starved myself with drinking ensure and boost. As for the trach. Looks disturbing. Not as bad as you think....After I learned how to cough out all that gunk in my lungs and throat by taking the cap off, It really was a breeze. It made breathing so easy. Although was not pleasant getting removed and itched like crazy afterwards, it also took a while to fully close.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum