Posted By: Linda Linch Best thing for fading scars from dissection - 07-14-2018 02:12 AM
Hi all,

I am almost 8 weeks out of chemoradiation. I am starting to attempt to put life back on a somewhat normal track, if that’s possible😂. I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations on the best thing to help heal and fade the scars from neck dissection.? Thanks in advance!!

Linda
Posted By: LJM Re: Best thing for fading scars from dissection - 07-15-2018 12:12 AM
Hi Linda,
It has been 6 months since my neck dissection. I purchased vitamin E oil and applied it every night. My scar has healed well and looks good. Neosporin is also a good option but I didn't want to keep the scar too moist and Neosporin tended to keep my scar more moist than I wanted it. I hope that makes sense. I struggle with Lymphedema so I have to wear compressions on my neck and chin at night so the vitamin E oil seemed to work with with my compression bandage. If you don't have to wear compression bandages, I think Neosporin would be a great option to reduce the visible scarring. Good luck to you!
Thanks for the reply. I have lymphedema as well that I’m working on. I go for massage weekly and am hoping it will get better. They haven’t put me on compression as of yet just some exercises. Hopefully that will improve things.

Will try the vitamin E oil!

Linda
After heart surgery (and not neck dissection) a friend told me about Mederma. So far so good.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum