Posted By: Nick V loss of appetite after chemo and Vitamin C? - 10-07-2014 04:13 PM
Chemo was last Wednesday (Taxol) and my mom hasn't been in the mood to eat much and hasn't felt well. Never has taken chemo well in fact (this is her 3rd time around with chemo.

For her next session, was thinking of getting Intravenous Vitamin C after Chemo to so her immune system doesn't take such a toll. Any experience with this?
Posted By: PaulB Re: loss of appetite after chemo and Vitamin C? - 10-07-2014 07:05 PM
What do the doctors say? I'm no expert, but High dose intravenous Vitamin C is not new as an alternative cancer therapy. Maybe more controversial, alternative, possibly toxic, and scam prone, is what comes to my mind.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/c.html
Posted By: Uptown Re: loss of appetite after chemo and Vitamin C? - 10-07-2014 09:33 PM
Nick V, before I ventured into the alternative medicine world, I would make sure the medical team has exhausted all avenues and they tell you so. Plus, I would have them give approval of anything during treatment. There weren't many changes to treatment protocols for decades until up to about 3-5 years ago. I think the level of care and knowledge is extremely good right now with conventional medicine.

With that said, many places that infuse Vit C don't like to do it with chemo or radiation because of the unknowns. If they say it is safe and it cures cancer, hold on to your wallet and run the other way. Fast.

Just my opinion.

Posted By: Maria Re: loss of appetite after chemo and Vitamin C? - 10-07-2014 10:27 PM
The problem with some of the supplements is that while they help the healthy cells, they may also help the cancer cells. Best to ask the oncologist.
Maria
Posted By: Cheryld Re: loss of appetite after chemo and Vitamin C? - 11-04-2014 07:57 PM
Definitely ask your dr. before doing something like this. As everyone's response to alternative options - I am not sure she is suggesting moving to alternative medicine but rather taking a supplement to help bolster her mom's immune system prior to her next chemo. (this in my opinion is not related to alternative medicine as a fair amount of the population takes vitamin D, C, etc... I would push for maybe B12 (supports blood) and upping her protein in the form of a shake or something mild but nutritious that she can eat (sip on) over the course of a few hours - hugs.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum