Posted By: SandySt. 6 month PET/CT scan - 12-21-2009 10:49 PM

I just received the report of my PET/CT scan. It's the same as my 3 mo. clear, except for the same hypermetablic uptake (previously 3.7; max SUV 4.6) midline within the genioglossus musculature. To quote radiologist, "subjectively no significant interval change."

Charm - we discussed the subject of not getting a totally clean scans after treatment. Any comments.

The doctor's physical examination was clear. Cannot see or feel any lumps, tumors, etc. Mentioned that we may do a needle biopsy if anything changes. I do a monthly check up.

Any opinions. I don't want to panic. Since nothing has changed, should I just wait until the next Pet/cat.

Thanks
Sandy

Posted By: Charm2017 Re: 6 month PET/CT scan - 12-22-2009 11:43 AM
Sandy

Not only no reason to panic, those PET/CT results are not even a reason to worry ! If your doctor does not feel any lumps, tumors, etc or anything out of the ordinary on the physical examination, you are just fine. Both my research, my personal experience as well as a written interpretation by the Director of Nuclear Medicine at Georgetown University Hospital (in a very kind and generous response to a frantic plea for help from me) confirm that with Base of Tongue Cancer, there is a very high SUV uptake in the recovering tissue especially the genioglossus area. So for BOT cases, these high SUV levels do not mean cancer. The most important thing you can do is keep having those monthly checkups.
I am so glad that you got such good news for the holidays. When a radiologist does NOT include some version of the standard legal disclaimer of "metastatic activity cannot be ruled out", you know you are in good shape.
Have a wonderful Christmas and New Years
charm
Posted By: SandySt. Re: 6 month PET/CT scan - 12-22-2009 05:23 PM
Charm:
Thank you so much. This report was starting to ruin my Christmas holiday.

Have a merry, Merry Christmas
Sandy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum