Posted By: EzJim New Problem - 09-24-2008 02:19 AM
I had the scope of my esophagus yesterday and go for the results next Wed. Something has been getting worse in my lower right stomach right below the belt line. I finally went to the Dr after it got really bad this morning. Good old hernia they think. She asked if I wanted another surgery. Nope. She told me to talk to my surgeon and let him know what's going on. For sure she said No heavy weight in these arms. The Dr I see Wed is my surgeon, the same one that did emergency surgery on my abdominl aortc anneurysm and did the Nissen Fundiplication on my Esophagus in 1995. Anneurysm in 1999. Guess it's time to slow down a little and watch the work build up around here. I hate to let things wait that need done. Later all.
Posted By: Ray1971 Re: New Problem - 09-24-2008 02:36 AM
Jim,

Don't worry about the things that need to be done...it'll all be waiting for you when your ready for the lifting again!

Good luck on Wednesday!

Best wishes
Posted By: Pete D Re: New Problem - 09-24-2008 02:57 AM
I'm not a Doctor, but I have had several hernia repairs. My understanding is that as long as the herniated muscles aren't pinching off anything else as they heal closed, there's no danger in postponing surgery (abdominal surgery is painful).

However you most definitely should get a medical opinion or two because if anything does get pinched, it may go gangrenous and that would do you in a lot faster than cancer would!
Posted By: Lani G Re: New Problem - 09-24-2008 04:04 AM
Jim,

I've had 9 abdominal surgeries, part of a breast removed, 2 major lung surgeries (1976 & 1985 to glue collapsible lungs to my chest cavity) 3 babies, and all this OC stuff. In the grand scheme of things, I have to say the abdominals were the easiest for me to go through (at least after they got that gangrenous twisted colon out of me in Oct 2006. I almost lost the battle that day.). That's not even including the many bouts with pnuemonia, etc. I don't know what I'm supposed to do in this life, but I must not have done it yet, and I hope I don't for a long time.

If the Dr says it needs fixin' than let him fix it. Just make sure you follow his directions afterwards. Don't know if they still do, but they used to tell women after full hysterectomies to not lift anything heavier than a dustcloth for six weeks. Well, anything that REALLY needs doing, you can ask someone else to do. But there's probably not much that dire. A friend of mine didn't follow those directions and is paying for it still 15 years later. That yard work just HAD to get done, that bookcase just HAD to be moved, etc. The rips, tears, and resulting scar tissue make her miserable to this day. It's only 6 weeks, for goodness sake. After all you've already been through, can there really be anything so important that "needs" to be done? IF the Doc says it should be taken care of, you'll feel so much better after it's fixed. And after the 6 or whatever they say now weeks, you'll be able to do all those things to your heart's content.

By the way, my #2 son had double hernia surgery at 3 weeks old. He cried before the surgery from the pain, but not a peep after surgery. Maybe he was born tough, though. He's my career Navy son. smile

Take care of yourself,

Lani
Posted By: JeffL Re: New Problem - 09-24-2008 12:12 PM
I had right side hernia repair done about 7 years ago, then 2 years later had to have the left side done and a neuroma removed from the right. Played golf 10 days after the second surgery. Piece of cake, as long as you force yourself to get up and down a lot during those first 4 or 5 days post op. :-)
Posted By: davidcpa Re: New Problem - 09-24-2008 02:31 PM
Jim,

I'm pulling for you. I'm sure you will handle this perfectly.
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: New Problem - 09-24-2008 05:31 PM
Jim just wanted to say good luck and thinking of you ....you'll fly through this too!!
Posted By: Cookey Re: New Problem - 09-24-2008 06:31 PM
Jim for one in your life,just do as your told.!!!!

love and ((((((hugs))))))))liz
Posted By: ChristineB Re: New Problem - 09-24-2008 08:28 PM

Sorry to hear of your latest issue Jim. You sure need a break from everything. Relax and let the work wait for a change, its not going anywhere. Hope your appointment went well today.
Posted By: EzJim Re: New Problem - 09-25-2008 01:14 AM
I have had kidney stones 12 times, both rotator cuffs repaired, right becept tendon worked on 2 times, both elbows fixed, Abdominal aortic anneurysm repaired in an emergencu situation, esophagus has 1/3 of my stomach wrapped around it, 3 tumors removed from my neck in the back, not going to put all the OC surgeris and biopsies in here. LOL I have never stayed in bed for any of them except those rad seed implamts. Thanks for caring all. I will handle it like the rest and thank you for the encouragement.
Posted By: TomK Re: New Problem - 09-25-2008 01:48 AM
Jim, is your real name Steve Austin, the 6 million dollar man? lol
Posted By: EzJim Re: New Problem - 09-25-2008 02:29 PM
I sometimes feel like it Tom. This has been my thoughts since 1972 when it was either get crushed by riding a railroad car and getting crushed or bailing off. LOL needless to say I bailed but when I hit the ground, down I went and it tore the bicept tendon loose from my shoulder. I guess all things have a beginning. That was mine.
Posted By: EzJim Re: New Problem - 10-02-2008 01:14 AM
Saw my surgeon today for scope results. He told me it is red where it was clear , the biopsies show displasia and now we have to go back to scoping every 6 months. It was a year since the last one. He checked my stomache where my PCP thinks there's a hernia. This dr thinks so too so on the 16th of Oct i get a cat scan qith IVP dye. This raises my heart rate to the high 90s so for it I will use the prep kit starting 3 days before the scan.Have a good day all.
Posted By: Lani G Re: New Problem - 10-02-2008 02:02 AM
Jim,

Well we already knew you were going to have to take care of the hernia - all except you. YOU needed some convincing. The scope results - well I'm sure you and your Doc will watch it carefully and jump right on it if or when something needs to be done.

I would ask, but I know you'll let us know the CT results. You just keep taking really good care of yourself.

Lani
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: New Problem - 10-02-2008 04:53 AM

Hi Jim

Thinking of you - Take care,

Karen

Posted By: ChristineB Re: New Problem - 10-02-2008 05:56 AM

Jim

Hope you are getting some rest. Im sorry to hear about your latest challenge.

Wishing you well.
Posted By: suemarie Re: New Problem - 10-02-2008 11:45 AM
Jim- Keep on hanging in there! You are one tough fellow.

Sue
Posted By: davidcpa Re: New Problem - 10-02-2008 12:22 PM
Jim,

With your history I'm really surprised that you were on a yearly scope schedule? I just got downgraded to a 6 month schedule.

Hang in there and lets hope for the best.
Posted By: debandbill Re: New Problem - 10-02-2008 02:08 PM
David,

I think the scope this time was for the reflux and repair that Jim had, IOW, the esophageal stuff, not the OC stuff. Is this correct Jim??

Brian and Website administrator...could we please give Jim a full page for his signature???? He needs more room for all his medical history - we stay confused. LOL
Posted By: peace4uall Re: New Problem - 10-02-2008 03:03 PM
Hey Jim,
You sure need a break, but you are like us all-what are we
going to do but face it? We have no choice-it's just how we
face it that counts. Me, I face it like a coward!HAHA

My ENT has made me come back every 2 months for almost 2 years now and just this last visit he made it 3 months. My husband jumped for joy and I grinned, then I just looked at my doctor because I am scared not to come back every 2 months? Who woulda thought? The dr's have brainwashed me!

I feel for you and just wanted you to know I'll be pulling for you!
Debbie
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: New Problem - 10-02-2008 07:47 PM
Hey Jim just wanted to lend my support too you have been so supportive to me and I just wanted to drop a line. I am still healing and not online much. Please take care and do as you are told... ((((hugs))))

Dianne
Posted By: davidcpa Re: New Problem - 10-02-2008 07:56 PM
Deb,

You may be correct on the scope but you are definitely correct on the full page signature line!!
Posted By: EzJim Re: New Problem - 10-03-2008 12:39 AM
Dianne, it's been so long since I've had a hug, that you might get me excited. J/K.. I thank you for the post tho. Have a great day.
Posted By: EzJim Re: New Problem - 10-03-2008 12:44 AM
Yes you are right, this is from the nissen fundlipcation the Dr did on me in 1995. I was getting a scope every 6 months for a lot of years , then went to 3 months, then back to a year for this past year and noq back to 6 months intervals.You are right on Deb. I gotta say this tho. This blasted hernia lets you know it's there.
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: New Problem - 10-03-2008 01:43 AM
I have had a hernia too and that doctor was a definate hacker lost feeling at the top of my leg and a scar at least 16" long...I think he was blind and just cut until he found it...lol oh well at least the oc doctors were much better...

Posted By: Malka Re: New Problem - 10-03-2008 03:43 AM
Jim,
Whatever you put in your signature, just take care of yourself so we can get encouragement from your wonderfully optimistic posts for a long time.
Posted By: EzJim Re: New Problem - 10-04-2008 02:10 AM
I'm laughing at Darkeyedlady and her hernia Dr. It' has me laughing big time. Malka, I will do whatever I am told to do and try to be here with yoiu for another 20 yrs. Lady, we sure have been thru a lot of the same things. I'm gonna avoid your hernia Dr tho. He is all yours. LOL Hug him with your hands around his neck.
Posted By: Lani G Re: New Problem - 10-04-2008 02:16 AM
Jim,

Try to hold on when those big belly laughs bubble up 'til after your hernia's fixed. smile

Lani
Posted By: darkeyedlady0 Re: New Problem - 10-04-2008 04:03 PM
I am glad I could make you laugh Jim cause laughter is some of the best medicine just hold on to a pillow when you laugh then the medicine won't hurt so much....

Take care

Dianne
Posted By: EzJim Re: New Problem - 10-04-2008 10:50 PM
We have such caring wonderful people if our forum. I'm far from gay but even love the guys in here. I am GAY when I see a pretty lady tho. LOL
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum