Posted By: lowanneb Jack's gone - 08-25-2005 08:56 PM
Jack lost his battle with SCC on Aug. 17. He was a tough battler until the end. His positive, optimistic attitude made this journey so much easier for me. He reminded his doctors many times that he would rather die from treatment than the cancer since he was a fighter. He went into Palliative Care on July 23. Palliative Care was o'k to him, but he would have nothing to do with Hospice. He would have run the lady from hospice out of the room if he had been able. He wrote on his white board, "I am not ready to die yet. I will beat the pneumonia and the infection and get in another round of radiation and chemo." Beating the two of them was not to be. The nurses said I could be thankful that it was the pneumonia that ended his life and not the tumor. In the end he was pain-free and at peace. This made his death so much easier for me.

We took him home to Iowa for the funeral and burial in the family plot with his parents, grandparents, great grandparents and great, great grandparents. Yes, it is a whole section of the cemetery. Our kids got to hear many stories of their dad's exploits back in his younger days. These stories meant a lot to them.

OCF was one of the places that I requested memorials be sent. I sure hope people support this great site. As I have told so many, when I needed information, I went to OCF. When I needed advise from someone who had been there and done that, this forum provided what I needed. When I was a bit in the dumps and needed support, I got more comfort from the people in this forum than I should have expected. Thank you. Thank you.

I am constantly on my soap box urging people to select a dental practice that conscientiously screens for oral cancer. I hope that as I get my head cleared and my thoughts back together I will have better ideas on how to send this message.

Appreciativly, Lowanne
Posted By: Mark Re: Jack's gone - 08-25-2005 10:30 PM
Lowanne,

I am so sorry to hear this news of your loss. My sincere condolences to you and your family.
Posted By: minniea Re: Jack's gone - 08-25-2005 10:54 PM
Lowanne,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Minnie
Posted By: aussieh Re: Jack's gone - 08-25-2005 11:00 PM
Dear Lowanne

Condolences to you and your family. Jack was fortunate indeed to have shared his life with you.

Love from Helen
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: Jack's gone - 08-25-2005 11:12 PM
Dear Lowanne,

I am so sorry to hear the news about Jacks passing.
You and your family have my deepest condolances.
I take some solace in knowing Jack suffers no more.
I hope all the good memories you shared with him will help you get through this painfull time in your life.
Thank you for thinking of The Oral Cancer Foundation by sending donations in his name. It is very thoughtful of you.
I also thank you for sharing your thoughts on how the OCF helped in your journey. It is truly a special website.

God Bless, Danny Boy
Posted By: dee Re: Jack's gone - 08-26-2005 12:17 AM
My Sincere condolences to you and your family.
Thoughts and prayers to ALL of you!
With Love,
Dee
Posted By: doreen Re: Jack's gone - 08-26-2005 10:18 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts.
Doreen
Posted By: Julie Re: Jack's gone - 08-26-2005 10:45 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.
Posted By: John N Re: Jack's gone - 08-26-2005 11:00 AM
I am so sorry to hear this news of your loss. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Think of the good times and the blessed experiences you have had with Jack to relieve your sole.
Posted By: Carol L Re: Jack's gone - 08-26-2005 11:44 AM
Lowanne, I am very sorry to hear of Jack's passing. I too take comfort that he is no longer suffering. God Bless and Take Care, Love, Carol
Posted By: digtexas Re: Jack's gone - 08-26-2005 12:56 PM
Lowanne,
I am sorry to hear of your terrible loss. Please take care.

Danny G.
Posted By: Eileen Re: Jack's gone - 08-26-2005 01:11 PM
Lowanne,
My deepest sympathy to you and your family in your loss. May your find memories help you through this sad time.

Eileen
Posted By: Tonya Re: Jack's gone - 08-26-2005 04:04 PM
Lowanne,
You and your family are in my thoughts.
Tonya
Posted By: helen.c Re: Jack's gone - 08-26-2005 04:33 PM
Lowanne,
I wish I had the words to express the depth of my sorrow for you all, I hope your memories carry you forward...
Sunshine...love and hugs
Helen
Posted By: Anita210 Re: Jack's gone - 08-26-2005 05:43 PM
Lowanne,
My heart aches for you.

I am glad their was peace at the end.

Anita
Posted By: sbk Re: Jack's gone - 08-26-2005 09:01 PM
My thoughts and love are with you and your family...Sara
Posted By: BobGrey Re: Jack's gone - 08-26-2005 11:54 PM
I am very sorry to have heard this news and you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: Barb Re: Jack's gone - 08-27-2005 01:21 AM
May you and your family find comfort and peace.

Blessings,
Barb~
Posted By: VRB Re: Jack's gone - 08-27-2005 02:19 PM
There is nothing more I can add except for an additional voice to tell you how sorry to hear of your loss. Your Jack sounded like a special man, one who was brave in the face of such terrible circumstances. May God Bless Jack, you and your family.
Sincerely,
Virgina Beck
Posted By: David Rex Re: Jack's gone - 08-28-2005 07:31 AM
Dear Lowanne,

"Each of us must release the hand of the one we love, in order to reach the hand of God."

I know Jack did not want to leave you. How he fought to stay with you and beat this cancer.

Funerals are an amazing thing. They bring out wonderful stories and amazing love. I'm glad your children were able to hear them in spite of the pain. Write these memories down Lowanne. They will mean alot to you when everything calms down.

I share your sadness and I am so very sorry.

Love, Brenda
Posted By: mellay Re: Jack's gone - 08-28-2005 10:08 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Just know that Jack is in a better place.
Posted By: lowanneb Re: Jack's gone - 08-31-2005 09:59 PM
Thank you all.

I was a math teacher, so I not the best with verbal skills. Know though how much I appreciate your thoughts.

I had no idea how many peoople I need to see and things I need to do. Maybe it is purposeful in that it keeps me busy. I think I am still catching up on my sleep, too. I haven't slept this late since college.

Lowanne
Posted By: Uptown Re: Jack's gone - 09-13-2005 12:05 PM
Lowanne,

Please accept my sincere but belated condolences. Know that through the roughest of the journey you and Jack have been in my thoughts and prayers. Also know that each and every victory along the way was celebrated greatly! I am so sorry that Jack's time in this world has come to an end. I truly admire his spirit and your spirit and the warriors you both have been.

Today I pray for comfort,healing and peace for you and your entire family. I pray for Him to continue to fill your heart with love. Please feel free to email me or PM me any time for any reason.

With love,

Ed
Posted By: Jeepster Re: Jack's gone - 09-14-2005 10:52 PM
Lowanne, I'm so sorry as I just read the post. Please know that you and Jack have been on my mind even though I haven't been to the board much. It's so hard I know, but Brenda is right. Write down all the memories. That has helped me the most. When I remember a little moment, I can smile then write it down. (I have a 175 page WORD document!) And when I really need a pick me up, I go back and revisit those moments again. Most of the time it makes me cry... but always with a smile. Sometimes... I get so lost in those memories it's "almost" like he isn't really gone. Then I snap out of it and realize... HE REALLY ISN'T GONE! He's everywhere! Then... I can go on. I wish you peace. And please read my next post as I want to share something that a close friend gave to me about a week after Don died. It's the poem that pulled me through, and it came at just the right time. Take care, God bless and call me anytime.
Karen
Posted By: Jeepster Re: Jack's gone - 09-14-2005 11:03 PM
And if I go while you're still here...

Know that I still live on,
Vibrating to a different measure
behind a thin veil you cannot see through.

You will not see me,
so you must have faith.

I wait the time when we can soar together again,
both aware of each other.

Until then, live your life to the fullest.
And when you need me,
just whisper my name in your heart,
....I will be there.

"Ascension" 1987
Colleen Coral Hitchcock
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum