Posted By: DCP2008 Peg Issues - 05-16-2008 02:52 AM
My Father-in-law was diagnosed with esophageal and gastric cancer approximately eleven months ago. He is going through his second round of chemotherapy as I am posting this. It has been a rough road as I know everyone reading this has experienced. I am not sure if it is fair to say that anything positive can come out of an experience like this however my wife and father in law have gotten closer. I am hoping to gain a few things from this site.
One issue he struggled with was his feeding tube. I wanted to see if other people had unpleasant experiences with feeding tubes and what the problems were. My father in law's tube fell out three times in a 3 month period. He has maintained an active lifestyle which was difficult with the tube. He enjoys golfing, working in the yard, and exercising but found it difficult. I firmly believe he is staying in good spirits because he has remianed active and refuses to stop living.
Look forward to hearing comments.
Posted By: Tammy63 Re: Peg Issues - 05-16-2008 03:48 AM
Welcome to this site. It was so helpful when I was dealing with issues. As far as the peg tube from what I have read on this site the peg tube can become loose as someone is losing weight or the hole begins to enlarge. I am sure more people will give you more information. Everyone here has be so wonderful and supportive. I know it is hard to think of anything being positive. You are unable to perform you normal activities and it is very fustrating. Being a cancer survivor I have my ups and downs but then realize that I am alive !!! Keep him in good spirits and before you know it he will be out there hitting golf balls and pulling weeds.
Tammy
Posted By: kateyes928 Re: Peg Issues - 05-27-2008 12:02 AM
I've had my PEG tube in for 8 months and haven't had any trouble with it...I garden 2 or 3 hrs at a time, play golf, power walk and go to the gym...we lead a fairly active lifestyle with camping and hiking...I just tuck the tube in my pants, skirt or shorts and go...I was told that the doctor that placed it did a great job...I guess I would check with someone to see if it was placed properly...I just can't see why, if it was, that there should be any problem...good luck...Katie
Posted By: JAM Re: Peg Issues - 05-27-2008 02:09 AM
Hi, Todd, My husband had a peg for almost 2 years. He did have a few minor problems with it leaking as he lost weight, but we had it checked by his Oncologist on a fairly routine basis. Otherwise, managing it was not a big issue. Hope your father in law continues to try to do the things that he wants to do. A good attitude will go a long way in this battle. Amy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum