Posted By: Brian Hill New forum problem - 05-02-2008 05:35 PM
We have a new problem, but it does not affect current posters. It is not possible for new people to sign onto the forum. Those of you that already have passwords and a screen name are unaffected, but no new people can join us for a few days while this is sorted out. I am posting this here because they can still read the forums but not post or become a member. I hope they will see this and try back in a day or two when this is sorted out.
Posted By: Leslie B Re: New forum problem - 05-02-2008 08:47 PM
Here's another: I just posted a reply to another thread and then wanted to make a small change to it -- but the Edit button is no longer present!

I'm on a Mac running OSX v10.4.11, and this happened with both the browsers I use -- Firefox v2.0.0.14 and Safari v3.1.1.

-- Leslie
Posted By: wilckdds Re: New forum problem - 05-02-2008 08:54 PM
I just had the same problem and I am using Internet Explorer. I have to do a better job of proofing before hitting the submit button.

Jerry
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: New forum problem - 05-02-2008 11:53 PM
This is probably not going to get fixed for a few days. Keep posting issues here so we are aware of everything.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: New forum problem - 05-04-2008 08:13 AM
Also the posting time has been switched to PST.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: New forum problem - 05-04-2008 08:15 AM
You can offset your time from the server time in your preferences in plus or minus hours and it will appear on you computer in your appropriate time zone.
Posted By: Leslie B Re: New forum problem - 05-04-2008 09:04 AM
Where is the server? Honolulu?

The server time shows up as ET -6/ PT -3. Current server time is 5:04 AM, so for ET I have to add 6 hours.
Posted By: Webmaster Re: New forum problem - 05-06-2008 04:38 AM
The server is here in Southern California, finally. So depending on where you live you should offset it. Please report any problems on this thread.

Thanks
Posted By: Leslie B Re: New forum problem - 05-06-2008 04:40 AM
The time issue appears to have been resolved. (I'm now back to +3 from the server time, and all is good.) Thanks!

And the Edit button has reappeared!

-- Leslie
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: New forum problem - 05-06-2008 05:30 AM
Nothing like a full days worth of work migrating the forum and 73,000+ posts from Canada to California.... And with that move, a new server without issues (that were causing the forum to not work properly). Chester makes it happen again.
Posted By: luvmyhubby Re: New forum problem - 05-06-2008 05:48 AM
I must admit I have minimal knowledge about the workings of something of this magnitude, but I do know enough to know that you guys rock. The little problems to me have just been that - little. This is a wonderful place and it really enriches our lives. Thanks Brian for making it happen and thanks Chester for keeping us here and dealing with the server stuff!!
Posted By: wilckdds Re: New forum problem - 05-06-2008 12:33 PM
Noticed a new problem.

It was possible before to click on the forum name at the top of the page when you were in a particular thread and get back to that forum list. Now you have to go back to the forum list and then re-enter that forum again.

I hope this is clear.

Jerry
Posted By: davidcpa Re: New forum problem - 05-06-2008 12:36 PM
Thanks Chester.

All of the previous problems I reported seemed to have been solved by the switch (and your effort of course).
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: New forum problem - 05-06-2008 12:47 PM
[quote=Brian Hill]Nothing like a full days worth of work migrating the forum and 73,000+ posts from Canada to California.... And with that move, a new server without issues (that were causing the forum to not work properly). Chester makes it happen again. [/quote]

It's MUCH faster too.

Posted By: davidcpa Re: New forum problem - 05-06-2008 12:49 PM
Even have new display colors as a bonus. Must be that California influence.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: New forum problem - 05-06-2008 02:45 PM
For colors we were thinking of going with puce, olive drab, pink, and turquoise but it was a bit too California.

It's blisteringly fast because the forum is sitting on a dedicated server all by itself. More money, but because this is the heart and soul of the online OCF experience, deemed a necessity. Note the address at the top, there has not even been time to to alter things. One of the weird things about the internet is the illusion of the experience. Your on the OCF servers in Toronto, you decide to buy something, you don't likely notice it, but you leave the main site in Canada and you go to ocfstore.org a completely different web domain that we own. That server in California has security protocols that the main site server does not have. The trip is seamless, except for the astute who notice the url. Ditto now the web site forum. While you can jump back and forth between the main site and here, you are jumping to a completely different url and site ocfforum.org (right now represented by numbers) thousands of miles away from the main site.

What you should understand about this. It is secure, and safe here.

But this very theory is used by the dark side of people to hurt you. Phishing. You get an email from Paypal, your bank, or what ever. It's on what appears to be their page, with their logos and everything. It has the right fonts, the right language, and for all practical purposes you can't tell that it is anyone else. It says you need to change your password, and please click on this link, to go to the place to do so. The link actually says your banks name. But that isn't where the link takes you - if you are not paying attention to the urls etc. You get there, enter your information, and bam... some Nigerian has your account number and password and cleans out your account. Maybe even looks for other accounts of yours that you manage on line. You have just screwed the pooch in pilot talk. No turning back. Where you think you are, you may not be. Learn about phishing and other internet scams to protect yourself. The world is not a safe place, even if you never step out of your front door.
Posted By: Nelie Re: New forum problem - 05-06-2008 03:35 PM
Thank you so much Brian and Chester.
Posted By: debandbill Re: New forum problem - 05-06-2008 03:50 PM
Thank you, Thank you Brian and Chester and those whose donations have made this possible.

Love the speed and love that the "Go to first unread post" feature is back. laugh

Hugs,

Deb
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum