Posted By: Bob & Laurie Not so good news - 02-07-2005 09:49 PM
Bob finished radiation in Oct, recovered very well & very quickly & returned to work in January. The latest CT scan showed a couple small nodules in his chest & a cyst on the pancreas. Today we met with a medical oncologist (referred to us by the head & neck oncologist) His advise is to get a biopsy of the cyst on the pancreas & to get another CT of the chest in 2 months. He said the chest nodules were so small & to try to biopsy them might cause more harm then good. So, we already have an appointment with another dr who will conduct the biospy to the pancreas. The pancreas isn't the usual site for recurrence, but I can't help but be scared. Has anyone ever heard of this?
Posted By: R Kenneth Re: Not so good news - 02-07-2005 10:42 PM
Laurie,

It's frequently repeated here on the OCF board, but I will paraphrase. Relax, it's not cancer until a pathologist says it is. Of course, relaxing is easier said than done.

The important thing is to stay on top of treatment, recovery and check-ups. I hope Bob gets a clean report following his biopsy, and I hope you both find ways to relax for the next couple of months.

Live well. Laugh often.

Ken
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: Not so good news - 02-07-2005 11:55 PM
Dear Laurie,

Is Bob scheduled for chemo? I second what Ken said about "It ain't cancer tell the pathology
report says it is".
I also had a bunch of small nodules in my lungs last June after completing radiation in Oct 04.
After receiving chemo for six months the next cat scan was completely clear!!! The reoccurance
in my orginal surgical bed was stable. The chemo appears to be holding the beast at bay!!!

Please know I and many others others are hoping the biospy's come back clean. I have no experience with pancreas reoccurrance. Please keep us posted when you get the results.

Love ya, Danny Boy
Posted By: KirkGeorgia Re: Not so good news - 02-08-2005 08:20 AM
Laurie, as mentioned, try not to worry unless there is laboratory confirmation. Even if that happens, worrying doesn't help anything and reduces the ability to fight the disease. So look at it day to day and know my thoughts are with you.
Posted By: Bob & Laurie Re: Not so good news - 02-08-2005 02:38 PM
Thank you for your kind words. My strong husband seems to be doing better with this then I am. His theory is that we'll face this & then move on. I on the other hand, cry, worry, lose sleep, cry some more & am starting to get pretty angry. He isn't scheduled to start chemo & basically the dr felt we should not worry about the chest nodules right now. We'll focus on the pancreas & then get another CT of the chest in 2 months. That worries me b/c oral cancer would likely recurr in the chest? Friday we see the dr to talk about the pancreas biopsy, so we'll know more then. I started my day with prayer & felt better after that. I will try to remind myself that it isn't cancer until they tell us that~thanks Ken for the reminder!
Posted By: Marica Re: Not so good news - 02-08-2005 03:08 PM
Dear Bob and Laurie
I can only imagine how scared you are ..we all will keep you in our our thoughts and send the most positive of vibes your way.
Tke care of yourself Laurie.
Marica
Posted By: Carol L Re: Not so good news - 02-08-2005 07:05 PM
Dear Bob and Laurie, You are both in my thoughts and prayers. I had a scan come back that showed a nodule on left lobe of lung, turned out to be okay. God Bless, Carol
Posted By: Debbie Domer/Caregiver Re: Not so good news - 02-08-2005 11:25 PM
Hey Bob and Laurie,
My thoughts and prayers are with you as you continue this journey. Laurie, I know too well about the fears, crys, etc. I know the day goes better when I start with prayer. The times I get busy and forget is when I tend to go to the fear zone (and that ain't pretty!).
Take care and God bless and keep us posted!
Debbie
Posted By: Bob & Laurie Re: Not so good news - 02-09-2005 07:13 PM
Thank you again. It is incredible the amount of knowledge & support we have received from this site! God Bless Brian! And Debbie you are so right~prayer is everything! I made myself read from a couple prayer books yesterday morning & it makes all the difference! Friday seems like a long way off...will let you all know how the dr appointment goes.

We are looking forward to meeting many of you in Virginia Beach in April!

Many thanks,
Laurie
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum