Posted By: Lynn Daily dozen - 06-28-2004 12:59 AM
I don't do this very often so please indulge me. I found this in a drawer looking for something else and I thought you might find it inspiring as I did when someone sent it to me right after surgery.

Daily Dozen
by Robert Louis Stevenson

1. Make up your mind to be happy. Learn to find pleasure in simple things.
2. Keep busy at something. A very busy person never has time to be unhappy.
3. Don't take yourself too seriously. Don't think that somehow you would be protected from misfortunes that befall others.
4. You can't please everybody. Don't let criticism worry you.
5. Don't let your neighbor set your standards. Be yourself.
6. Do the things you enjoy doing, but stay out of debt.
7. Don't borrow trouble. Imaginary things are harder to bear than the real ones.
8. Since hate poisons the soul, do not cherish enmities, grudges, etc.
9. Have many interest. If you can't travel, read about new places.
10. Don't hold postmortems. Don't spend your life brooding over sorrows and mistakes.
11. Do what you can for those less fortunate than yourself.
12. Make the best of your circumstances. No one has everything, and everyone has something of sorrow intermingled with the gladness of life. The trick is to make the laughter outweigh the tears.

Have a fantastic week.
Love to you all who have blessed my life so richly.
Lynn
Posted By: Cathy G Re: Daily dozen - 06-28-2004 07:57 AM
Thanks, Lynn. It's a good list for anyone to live by, but cancer has a way of driving home the significance of these points very forcefully. Like some of the others on this site, I have to say that life since cancer has been better in many ways than life before -- and I can point to a lot of the items on your list to make that case.

Cathy
Posted By: Uptown Re: Daily dozen - 06-28-2004 09:49 AM
Thank you both for the inspiring words and thoughts! What a great way to start the week.

Ed
Posted By: sbk Re: Daily dozen - 06-28-2004 03:32 PM
Thanks Lynn...appricaite your advice!!!!
Posted By: Brett Re: Daily dozen - 06-28-2004 04:10 PM
That's good stuff, Lynn. Thank you.

-Brett
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum