Posted By: Mark Fab 5 survivor - 06-03-2004 12:38 AM
Ok, I don't want any flack for admitting that I watch Queer Eye for the Straight Guy,

However last night the show had an 80 year old grandfather visit the subject's apartment. THE NEAT thing was his visable radical neck scar and clear indication that he was a survivor at 80! laugh
Posted By: JetAgeHobo Re: Fab 5 survivor - 06-03-2004 01:32 AM
Ok, no flack from here, wondering how to get Thom Filicia over here to do the interior design on my new apartment.

We get the episodes a couple of weeks later over here I think, what episode? Neat the gentleman did ok at his age.

And yes, since I started watching the show I have started using "skin care products" and everyone says I look better then before the cancer battle started. Go figure.

The new name is "metrosexual" straight guys that pay attention to fashion, culture, etc.

Yet another label victim
Bob
Posted By: Lynn Re: Fab 5 survivor - 06-03-2004 07:19 PM
You guys crack me up!!!

Lynn
Posted By: JAD Re: Fab 5 survivor - 06-03-2004 08:50 PM
The episode that Mark referred to is the one with twins, Brendon & David Bravo I believe. I am also addicted to watching the Fab 5! I also noticed the scars and wondered at the time if I would have noticed before my diagnosis (most likely wouldn't have known what it was). Amazing how much you notice these now huh?
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: Fab 5 survivor - 06-03-2004 10:56 PM
I admit my wife and I watch the show and think the gays are some really decent prople. Who are we do Judge? They could certainly help me with my wardrobe! I'm a blue jean and t-shirt kind of guy.

Dan
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Fab 5 survivor - 06-03-2004 11:44 PM
Hey don't knock the jeans and T shirts!!!! Around my place that is the uniform of the day. However, my tux is coming out of the closet for the first time in years to attend the Women in Film event with Blythe Danner and daughter in a couple of weeks.....Yee Gads! I thought those days were over! Now I've got to buy a new damn shirt to go with it that is a couple of neck sizes smaller....... a shirt I might add I probably won't wear again. ( And I thought I was done paying for that neck dissection.)

But there is nothing like a soft, beat up old pair of Levi's and a T. I absolutely will not part with a 10 year old black T-shirt that I wore during my serious Harley days.... on the back it says: Caution; does not play well with others. That shirt and a pair of 501's with enough engine oil and grime on the legs that they could stand up in the corner by themselves, are all that is left of my rebel youth..... How life does change.
Posted By: Mark Re: Fab 5 survivor - 06-04-2004 12:40 AM
JAD, I believe you are correct, all I remember is that they were all decended from grandpa, and he emmigrated from Italy. You point about noticing is also true. I look at peoples' necks all the time now.

Brian I was reading along normally until I got to "a couple of sizes smaller" (shirt neck size) I too cracked up because I had get rid of several shirts that were "too big" post treatment. Damn the cost of this disease just keeps on going up! maybe we can charge the wardrobe change off as a medical expense? wink
Posted By: Marica Re: Fab 5 survivor - 06-05-2004 04:03 PM
WooHoo..we have a bunch of fashion plates in our club...I am so impressed..lol
Brian are you going to meet daughter Gwynneth??
Talk about a High Profile Spokeswoman...I am sure you could charm her into that! Have fun.
Marica
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Fab 5 survivor - 06-05-2004 07:09 PM
Indeed, both Blythe and Gwyneth will be there that night. Blythe and I had lunch together a few weeks ago, and she is going to be filming our next Public Service Announcement for TV with the foundation in July. While she is donating her time, it is still an expensive proposition for the foundation.

I am way out of my league with this group of people, but their celebrity brings so much clout with it that when they sneeze it ends up in the papers and elsewhere. Celebrity spokespeople are a necessary tool for us to get our message out. I found Ms. Danner to be just like Jack Klugman, who I now have a fledgling personal relationship with after he filmed our first PSA due to hit TV in July. They are both just real people who have the same concerns, problems, and ups and downs as the rest of us. The fact that they are willing to loan their celebrity to the foundation for nothing speaks very highly of them as human beings. I'm not a person who follows stars and their films, lives etc. very much, so I really didn't know how different their world is from ours when it comes to being in public. But privately those that I have met and talked with seem to just be great people with no agenda or "Celebrity BS" attached to them. And yes, Gwyneth is at the top of the
Posted By: Lisa S.D. Re: Fab 5 survivor - 06-06-2004 04:56 PM
Dear Brian,
Please let us all know when the "Women in Film" event will be and what network will be covering it. I'm sure it will be aired live on TV and we'd all love to see you- especially if you get to walk the red carpet! Both Ms. Danner and Ms. Paltrow/Mrs. Martin should be in very good spirits since Ms. Danner is a new first time Grandma and Ms. Paltrow is the new Mom of Apple Blythe Alison Martin, born on May 6th (my wedding anniversary, so that was east to remember). Combining business with pleasure sure makes the business end of things alot easier to handle. Have a ball. I hope your lovely wife will be attending too and I hope she looks drop dead gorgeous! Keep us informed.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Fab 5 survivor - 06-06-2004 09:38 PM
I am uncertain about who and what is covering it all, having never been to this kind of thing before. But will let you know what I find out... and if anyone is going to film people attending this event, I guarantee you that their cameras will be trained on stars, not nobodies like me. Actually, if the truth be known, I really want to meet Dana Delaney who is a Paltrow family friend also attending, and who I have had a crush on since her days as McMurphy in China Beach...hey every guy's got to have a fantasy. This is their night to shine, and I am only there in solidarity with those who wish to honor them and in support of the Women in Film organization that is making a scholarship available in Bruce Paltrosw's name. But the chance to meet individuals like this in person opens the door to contacting them after all the celebration for the serious efforts of OCF. Believe me, I never take my eye off that ball.
[img]http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/board_images/china_beach.gif[/img]
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum