Posted By: David2 Tooth extraction query - 07-27-2022 07:07 PM
Hello friends - I used to be active here but after my prostate cancer diagnosis 4 years ago have been devoting myself extensively to that issue, so please forgive my absence.

It seems that I'm going to need a tooth extracted and an implant. I'm concerned because before my IMRT in 2009 an oral surgeon warned me about possible bleeding problems in such a case. My periodontist is aware of this and is very experienced. He hasn't yet outlined any specifics. I'm seeing him again next Monday, Aug. 1st.

Can anyone give me any advice and/or speak to their own experience?

Many thanks.
David
Posted By: travelottie Re: Tooth extraction query - 07-28-2022 10:53 AM
As you already know, dental extractions post-radiation therapy are a risk due to the possibility of developing ORN (osteoradionecrosis) resulting from compromised blood flow to the jaw. If you check my past posts on this topic, you will see that it is a complicated decision. My husband did not get good advice until he consulted a dental surgeon who was part of an oral cancer team. I would not proceed with extractions until seeing a dental surgeon with experience treating oral cancer patients. If at all possible, check with a large cancer center.

The OCF pages under dental issues are helpful and your radiation oncologist should be able to give you some guidance.
All the best,
travelottie
Posted By: David2 Re: Tooth extraction query - 07-28-2022 06:18 PM
Thanks a million, travelottie. My situation is complicated by the fact that my treatment was 13 years ago, so getting in touch with my RO from back then might not be possible. At present I am seeing no oncologists, only the periodontist and my regular dentist. I'll read and learn from your past posts, and really appreciate your wise words.

David
Posted By: travelottie Re: Tooth extraction query - 07-29-2022 12:18 AM
David,
Your treatment summary from the original radiation oncology department should still be available. Oral surgeon should want to check radiation mapping, which indicates the high dose radiation areas.

Best regards,
Lottie
Posted By: David2 Re: Tooth extraction query - 07-30-2022 12:53 AM
Thanks again, Lottie. I was indeed able to get in touch with my RO, who thought that based on my treatment I might not be a candidate for an implant. She recommended a dentist for a consultation. I'll be seeing him in August.

David
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum