Posted By: OzMojo The Hellion Passed Away - 03-27-2016 05:58 AM
When I first joined OCF I was like most people, scared, overwhelmed, and had no idea what was to follow. I struck up a penpal relationship with Hellion, we had a lot in common. Same age, same cancer starting exactly the same chemo/rad treatment on the same day. So all our chemo sessions, follow up scans etc, were on the same schedule. We called ourselves cancer brothers, and we swapped dozens of emails over the past couple of years.

He was always so optimistic and supportive, and pushed me forward when I just wanted to give up. After treatment my PET came back clear, his didn't. He fought on with on all the way, participating in trials in experimental treatment. They had good news a couple of weeks ago that the brain lesion had almost completely resolved, and things were looking up. But it had spread to his liver and he went downhill quickly. After a couple of days in a hospice he passed away on 26 March.

He has an amazing wife and family, they are in my prayers again tonight.
Posted By: someguyjeff Re: The Hellion Passed Away - 03-27-2016 10:09 AM
I was worried after not hearing from him that things weren't good. I am deeply saddened by this news. I learned so much from him as I learned about my own mets to the lungs. His never give up attitude has been an inspiration. I have the sadness of losing another friend, the anger that this cancer has taken another person away from their family, and some fear because I know the road I am on is the same that he and many others on this board travelled to the end.

Bless his family and my prayers will be focused on them tonight.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: The Hellion Passed Away - 03-27-2016 12:07 PM
David, thank you for sharing this sad news with us. I had feared he wasnt well with being absent for so long.

My deepest condolences to his friends and family. The Hellion is now free from pain and suffering. Rest in peace.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: The Hellion Passed Away - 03-27-2016 12:14 PM
I can't put into words the sadness I feel. After John passed, Hellion said he was the next warrior to step up to continue the fight. I was hoping his indomitable spirit would carry him through. Unfortunately, it was not to be.

My deepest condolences to his lovely wife and family. RIP dear friend.
Posted By: Maria Re: The Hellion Passed Away - 03-27-2016 04:36 PM
This is very sad news for a beautiful easter morning. My thoughts are with his family. His courage was an inspirion to us all. RIP Hellion.
Maria
Posted By: David2 Re: The Hellion Passed Away - 03-27-2016 08:01 PM
Sad news to read, we've lost another strong member of the family. Thoughts to his family.
Posted By: Di66 Re: The Hellion Passed Away - 03-27-2016 08:22 PM
RIP , so very sad news, thinking of Hellions family and friends. X
Posted By: PaulB Re: The Hellion Passed Away - 03-27-2016 09:55 PM
I'm really saddened to hear this. May Hellion rest in peace.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: The Hellion Passed Away - 03-28-2016 07:01 AM
This is heart breaking news.
Much sympathy and aroha to his Family. RIP Hellion.
Tammy
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: The Hellion Passed Away - 03-29-2016 12:20 AM
My deepest condolences. Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: Steve F. Re: The Hellion Passed Away - 04-02-2016 03:32 PM
So sorry to hear this news. Prayers and condolences to Family and Friends.
Posted By: donfoo Re: The Hellion Passed Away - 04-14-2016 04:57 AM
My heart skipped when the message topic flashed by while onto another topic. Instant click back here and so very sad to hear he lost the war. He fought each battle with courage, an example to us all how to fight and never give in. I pray for the peace and serenity I know he now enjoys.
Posted By: Kerri Re: The Hellion Passed Away - 04-19-2016 04:57 AM
Dearest OCF Friends,

I am heartbroken to hear of The Hellion's passing, as we all feel the same.

His spirit and determination to go on with life and enjoy the important things like holidays, family, and friends was admirable, especially in the face of what this horrible disease was doing to his body.

I followed his posts all along and he was so gracious to keep us posted (so eloquently, I might add!). It was as though I could hear his British gentleman's voice in his writings. Hellion was brave in the face of his situation.

It seemed as though things were going so well for a while. I was shocked and fearful for him when I learned of all of the mets that he had developed seemingly out of nowhere. Cancer can be relentless, it's maddening! I was so hopeful for one of our trailblazers who was bravely undergoing new and promising treatments. Those like The Hellion will that the medical oncology community, research scientists, and pharmaceutical companies could glean from his participation in clinical trials.

I offer my deepest condolences to his friends here on the OCF Forums and to his family, wife, and children.

Another beautiful person taken too soon by this disease. May we honor his memory and all of those who passed before him by continuing OCF's Mission and Vision!

Love in OCF,
Kerri

Posted By: OzMojo Re: The Hellion Passed Away - 05-01-2016 02:25 PM
Hellion(Thom)'s wife Mary wrote to me earlier today, thought I'd share it with you. Mary has been amazing through the whole journey. We do hope to meet her one day, we will shower her with hugs.

Yesterday, April 30, we had a celebration of Thom's life. I brought plenty of liquor and had a caterer make a lot of foods Thom would have liked. So many people came to share a story of him. It was so nice to see. It felt like a good way to say goodbye. I'm sitting here watching English Premier League soccer (Thom's team is West Ham United) and I'm thinking about all the good he brought to the world. There were so many people who were touched by him, who cared about him and will genuinely miss him. It was a good day. I wish you guys were here with us, you would have enjoyed it.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: The Hellion Passed Away - 05-01-2016 03:43 PM
Thank you for sharing this Dave!!! Thom is truly missed here on the forum. We lost part of our online family, which is never easy.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum