Posted By: Uptown Terrible news - 01-31-2016 12:55 PM
Not sure where to post this but we lost Gabe overnight. She was such a beautiful lady and part of the OCF family since 2007. May she rest in peace.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Terrible news - 01-31-2016 02:52 PM
Even though I was aware of Gabe being very ill for some time now, it still is a shock when hearing if her passing. Even though she lived on the other side of the world, Gabe and I were good friends for a long time which makes this even harder. Too many good people have recently passed away.

Newer members may not know Gabe, but her posts will live on for a long, long time helping other OC patients and caregivers.

Gabes profile

RIP my friend!

Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: Terrible news - 01-31-2016 02:58 PM
Oh my God! I can't believe it! I really enjoyed knowing Gabe and sharing our love of painting. What a huge loss. She was a beautiful person and helped support me in many situations. I will miss her.
Posted By: Dragan Re: Terrible news - 01-31-2016 06:48 PM
I'm deeply saddened to hear of Gabe's passing. As with Cathi, I remember clearly when she first found the OCF, and enjoyed many conversations over the years.

The passing of two old friends in less than a month has served as a sober reminder to me, and for those of you newly out of treatment, or with two or three years distance, or those "old timers" like me; NEVER let your guard down! Get check-ups regularly; if your ENT or
Oncologist says you don't need to, find a new Doctor.

It's long been my personal belief that we do ourselves a disservice by considering ourselves "cured" after 5 or more years. I'm coming up on ten years that I view as a long term remission, not that I was "cured". I take every precaution I can & will continue to. In addition, in remembrance of my two lost friends, I will be scheduling a check-up tomorrow for as soon as possible, even though I'm not "due" until June.

Oral cancer CAN & DOES return, even many years later. Please be well...

Wayne
Posted By: PaulB Re: Terrible news - 01-31-2016 08:23 PM
I'm truly sorry to hear of Gabe's passing, along with Cathy, and Cindy, as well.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Terrible news - 01-31-2016 09:35 PM
I am so sorry Gabe passed. I remember reading her posts. My heartfelt condolences to her family.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Terrible news - 01-31-2016 10:32 PM
This has hit me hard. Gabe was a special friend.
RIP Darling, Beuatiful, Sweet Gabe.
TammyπŸ’”πŸ’”πŸ’”
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: Terrible news - 01-31-2016 10:54 PM
Rest in Peace, Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: AnneO Re: Terrible news - 01-31-2016 11:10 PM
This hits me hard. Gabe and I belonged to an exclusive circle: the oral cancer/gastrointestinal stromal tumor group. Last time Gabe corresponded with me which was only about 3 months ago was to tell me she was happy for me that my GIST was apparently gone while hers was super aggressive. That speaks volumes to the kind of person Gabe was. Her attitude, her selflessness, really touched me.

GIST is a sarcoma while our OC's, Gabe's and mine were of course carcinomas. They are vastly different in their treatments and the tumor's behavior. Both can be deadly for certain.

I will miss seeing her beautiful photos of Australia and of birds on FB.
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Terrible news - 01-31-2016 11:16 PM
I will miss Gabe a lot. She was one of the main people to support me here when I had similar tongue surgery to hers. She has spoken to me on the phone and sent me flowers.

Both Cathi and Gabe were great Facebookers whose posts I enjoyed.

The "downunder" head and necks have lost a fine champion in Gabe. I will not forget her. All my love, Gabe.
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Terrible news - 01-31-2016 11:36 PM
Oh my ! So sorry to hear of Gabe's passing. I hope her family will know how much she is missed by her OCF family. For me, this sad news is another reminder of how fleeting life is and how important is to always appreciate and enjoy each moment we have with those closest to us whether they are on the other side of the world or sitting right next to us. Rest in Peace, dear Gabe.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Terrible news - 02-01-2016 04:58 PM
I've been a part of the OCF family since 2006, and it seems the past few months we have lost so many members of our family. Each loss reminds me how precious and short life is.

I recall many on-line discussions with Gabe - a kind and compassionate person. I also knew here via FB and enjoyed seeing pictures of her beautiful family and her feathered friends.

Rest in Peace Gabe! You will be missed!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Terrible news - 02-01-2016 10:23 PM
Our friend Gabriele passed peacefully on 1/31/16 without pain after complications from a battle with a gastro-intestinal cancer called GIST. She was diagnosed with this several years after her bout with OC.

Here is a link to Gabes online memorial. If you would like read or add a note to her memory book.

Gabriele's online memorial
Posted By: GaryG Re: Terrible news - 02-02-2016 04:10 PM
Rest in Peace Warrior
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum