Posted By: OLJ RIP Roger Ebert - 04-03-2013 01:25 PM
Crap! http://todayentertainment.today.com...ave-of-presence-from-writing-duties?lite
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: RIP Roger Ebert - 04-03-2013 03:41 PM
Oh No! So sorry to hear the latest on Roger Ebert! He is involved in so many things and has so much to offer. I hope there will be something that can help him beat this.
Posted By: Leslie B RIP Roger Ebert - 04-04-2013 08:08 PM
Chicago Sun-Times film critic Roger Ebert died today, two days after he wrote on his blog that he was taking a "leave of presence" (such a graceful phrase) from his writing to fight cancer discovered when he fractured his hip in December. He had previously been treated for cancer of the thyroid gland and the salivary gland.

The White House issued a statement:

Statement by the President on the Passing of Roger Ebert

Michelle and I are saddened to hear about the passing of Roger Ebert. For a generation of Americans - and especially Chicagoans - Roger was the movies. When he didn't like a film, he was honest; when he did, he was effusive - capturing the unique power of the movies to take us somewhere magical. Even amidst his own battles with cancer, Roger was as productive as he was resilient - continuing to share his passion and perspective with the world. The movies won't be the same without Roger, and our thoughts and prayers are with Chaz and the rest of the Ebert family.
Posted By: OLJ Re: RIP Roger Ebert - 04-04-2013 08:11 PM
Very sad news...
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/05/movies/roger-ebert-film-critic-dies.html?emc=na&_r=0
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: RIP Roger Ebert - 04-04-2013 10:18 PM
Leslie

Thank you for posting this. We have had some nice discussions about and even with Mr. Ebert on feeding tubes.
A sad loss
Charm
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: RIP Roger Ebert - 04-05-2013 04:40 PM
An interesting tidbit I came across this morning from Michael Moore's blog post:

"Driving though Chicago one night he (Roger Ebert) told me the story of why and how he thinks he got it. He told me that back in the early '50s, a Chicago hospital decided to try to cure children's colds or other simple ailments by blasting them with radiation. He believed that is what set off the chain of events that would eventually debilitate him with this disease. He said that many of the other kids like him who were in the program had also contracted cancer. It was a sad story."

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum