Posted By: davew I finally joined the club - 07-10-2007 09:32 PM
A motorcycle racing club...

I have raced cars for many years, and bought my first motorcycle the summer just before I was diagnosed. I rode it all year long and bringing it onto a race track quickly became a personal goal of mine. Even though I continued to ride on local streets through much of my treatment, my physicall and mental condition really prevented anything more than short casual commutes. I was really devastated and worried it would be a very long time until I was able to ride seriously again, or do many of the other things I enjoyed in life.

Well last weekend, almost exactly one year to the day that I finished treatments, I completed my first track event on my bike, and had a blast. I never would have done this if I wasn't 110% up to the task. 175 mph is nothing to take lightly, and its a very serious workout running lap after lap. But I'm feeling fully back to my previous self, if not better, and I'm back to a healthy and normal weight. In a nutshell I'm feeling fully healed and healthy and back to enjoying my life the ways I did before this ordeal began. As much as I enjoyed the race, it was far more of a symbolic victory than anything else for me.

As an added bonus I spent the night before the race at a small B&B near the race track that caters to bicyclists, and I slept in their "Lance Armstrong" suite smile As corny as it may sound, I really found the pictures of Lance riding that were hung all over the room to be touching and motivating.

Anyhow, my sole purpose of this post is to share this symbolic victory with those who may be just starting or finishing treatment and hopefully offer some encouragement. It's a long journey, but things do get better....

all my best to everyone.
David

[img]http://sales.hondatwincam.com/misc/BS.jpg[/img]
Posted By: JAM Re: I finally joined the club - 07-10-2007 09:52 PM
Sooooie Pig! [in case you think I'm nuts, Dave, you bike is Arkansas Razorback Red so Go Hog!] Thanks for sharing. Amy in the Ozarks laugh
Posted By: billy.calcutt Re: I finally joined the club - 07-10-2007 10:08 PM
Thank you so much David for this post. I am just a meer 7 weeks out of treatment with a ND to go. I really needed to read this story. You have given me encouragement that it will all be ok in the end. I just hope this will all be over with soon.

Thanks again my friend,
Billy
Posted By: davidcpa Re: I finally joined the club - 07-11-2007 08:35 AM
David,

From one David determined to get past this crap to another, way to go !!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: I finally joined the club - 07-11-2007 08:56 AM
Good for you, David W! Great pic!! cool
Posted By: linroth Re: I finally joined the club - 07-11-2007 08:02 PM
Way to go David! Enjoyed reading your post, and the picture is great. My son just got a new Harley last month and took me for a ride. It brought tears to my eyes to be able to enjoy that ride. I've been on a bike many times over the years, and now it seems I took all those awesome rides for granted. Nothing is to be taken for granted in this life. Enjoy it!! It sure looks like you are. 175 miles an hour???? The Mom in me wants to say please be carefull smile
Posted By: sharlee Re: I finally joined the club - 07-11-2007 09:00 PM
DAVE

That is soooooooooooooooo COOL !! I am so glad to hear an inspring story and IN NO WAY is it corny about the Lance Armstrong room !!! I believe in signs and to me that was a BIG one for you , how great it must have felt !! Where do you race? I am 3 hours from Boston and I love stuff like that ..well usually I watch Motocross , but Big Motorcycles would be FUN TOO !!

Shar
Posted By: August Re: I finally joined the club - 07-12-2007 03:48 PM
David, you have made my day! I am back to singing and dancing myself. I hope that everybody here will be determined not to let this beast take more from them than it already has taken! There IS life after cancer. Often it can be the same as before, and often, it will be even better. Never give up, and never give up on the things you love to do.
Posted By: mhupe Re: I finally joined the club - 07-13-2007 03:17 AM
David,

My husband is at the halfway point of treatment, and what offers us both hope is postings like yours. I love seeing or reading proof of what is in my heart...that someday, this experience will be a memory and our lives will be back to or better than what they were before.

Thanks for sharing!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum