Thread Like Summary
Dclioness, NPeterson, Tiff
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#94621 04/30/2009 1:54 AM
by ChristineB
ChristineB
Thought this might be helpful to those who are struggling to eat normally. Avoid buying things that are spicy or have alot of salt in them, instead buy low (or no) sodium and make as much as possible from scratch.

soft scrambled eggs with cheese
poached eggs
yogurt
pudding
cheesecake
milkshakes (I used to drink choc/peanutbutter milkshakes daily)
baked beans mashed up like mashed potatoes
mashed potatoes
mashed sweet potatoes
candied sweet potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes** my favorite with a little butter, brown sugar, and sour cream to help mellow it even more
chicken and stars soup
wonton soup
french onion soup... anyone can very easily and cheaply make this at home, just beef broth, sautéed onions, piece of toast on top and provolone cheese (or whatever kind you like, mozz, cheddar etc) carefully broiled to melt the top of the cheese
pancakes w/ real maple syrup or smucker's blueberry syrup
french toast, very lightly fried
canned carrots
peas or green beans mashed
glazed carrots
cottage cheese
buttered soft, fresh white bread with jelly
soft serve ice cream
applesauce
tomato soup made with milk, or half and half for more calories
zucchini squash either peeled, sliced and dipped in egg then lightly fried or sautéed in butter
jello, with whipped cream
canned peaches or pears
asparagus (overcooked)
baked potato with butter and sour cream

Some meats are very tender when cooked in a pressure cooker like turkey legs. Most can get away with buying cheaper cuts of meat as the extra fat in it helps to keep the meat tender making it easier to eat, such as 70/30 hamburger instead of 90/10.

To help balance your diet, add a scoop of dry carnation instant breakfast to milkshakes. Its all about the calories. Try to get as many calories possible per sip or swallow. Buying low fat, low calorie, should be on hold for a while
Liked Replies
#200296 Jul 30th a 10:50 AM
by Dizz_zzey
Dizz_zzey
You're very welcome. I'm always looking out for different foods that be adapted, even the international foods are a great source of inspiration as I google it and then try to find it in the UK or see if there is an alternative. I have a lot of foodie friends who have been incredibly supportive, so when I've needed inspiration, they've stepped up and helped.

Experimentation is they key, eg I bought a can of cream of chicken soup, but it wasn't 'meaty' enough. So I mixed in some pate, which melted nicely. It was wonderful. I now add a drop of pate to gravies to enrich them.

I'll add pierogis to the list. I've got a pack of frozen vegetable gyoza (dumplings) which I'll boil. They come with a dip, but I have some mayo on hand just in case.

My husband and I are going to have a 'picky' lunch, which will be some different foods for me to try gradually throughout the day.

I choked on a piece of mushroom, and I nearly choked on some oats, so I totally understand where you're coming from.
1 member likes this
#104398 Sep 29th a 10:00 PM
by Dianne MH
Dianne MH
Hello Friend's, Because I am new to the site, I have not read all that there is posted already. I am just going to throw some ideas out there as "Food For Thought" Here are some of the food items I am able to eat (without choking to death) Water-from a Brita pitcher (change filter @ least every 3 months) I keep my water @ room temp. Breakfast, Instant oatmeal (reg flav.) I add a little sugar @ cin. RaisinBran, I add milk & let it soak for 20min (I add a little coffee too!) I really missed not being able to eat toast, so I came up w/this "gravy"- Melt 3T Butter in small sauce pan, add 2 T of flour, keep stirring, next add milk, cream or water, keep stirring until you get the thin/thickness you like. Add some mustard for color. Make toast, eggs over easy & pour "gravy" over it all. The rest of what I eat is mostly,Soups, Salads & Pasta. A Ballpark Hot dog, boiled and eaten with loose mashed potatoes and (frozen) chopped spinch is good. I don't use my microwave to much. If it wasn't for the high prices, I would eat all organic! I want to keep the pounds off, so this menu works for me. Not being able to eat cookies, cake, bread, pizza etc...is a help!!! The only thing I really miss...Potatoe Chips ! Even w/dip, its just too hard to get down. During the 3rd week of radiation, I never thought I would be able to talk or eat ever again, now I am able to do both...as long as I have water, I'm good to go ! All My best Wishes to you all. Please, don't give up, ever ! Dianne
1 member likes this
#96588 Jun 3rd a 06:10 AM
by Pandora99
Pandora99
Cream of tomato soup - soak cheese bread pieces in it. Sounds gross but it is wonderful and gives you that carb hit that you need when you are having trouble finding suitable food.

Donna
1 member likes this
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics