Thread Like Summary
kimmybgood
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#201088 12/21/2021 5:06 AM
by kimmybgood
kimmybgood
I had a mandibulectomy surgery Nov. 15 on my left lower jaw with fibula flap, and I'm sure I'm being impatient, but when will my face start to look more normal? Can anyone provide insight?
Liked Replies
#201100 Dec 24th a 10:26 PM
by Brian Hill
Brian Hill
Thank you for the kind words about OCF and the forum. Those of us that have been through any kind of reconstruction have a wide variety of outcomes, not just esthetically but in function, swallowing, speech and more. I have one of the worst final outcomes of the people that I have come across. I didn't need a mask at Halloween. But I've gotten used to being someone that people stare at. The worst part of it all was losing my voice and realizing how worthless my cell phone was to me. It also cut me out of many future lectures that I was supposed to give, and I will miss them as I enjoy the process of connecting with treatment professionals and patient alike. But it will be written communications in the future and a PEG tube. I truly miss FOOD as well. I'd kill to be able to eat regular food again and enjoy a meal with others.

But it could all be worse. Many do not make it through this journey and I'm here 2 decades out, beaten up for sure, but having traded it for a meaningful life each day, I keep my whining about my own situation to a minimum.
1 member likes this
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23