Thread Like Summary
NonaChris
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by MrFox
MrFox
Hi all, since having surgery (11 months ago), I made the conscious decision to no longer consume any alcoholic drinks. Despite not being a heavy drinker I thought it was the right thing to do.
However, I wondered whether non-alcoholic drinks that contain 0.5% alcohol would be deemed as any kind of risk?

Just wondered what others thought about this?
Many thanks
Liked Replies
by ChristineB
ChristineB
As with just about everything relating to OC, it comes down to replies are based on individual specifics of each person (patient). Theres far too many variables involved even when attempting to compare patients with others who on paper seem to match. Just like if asking 1000 doctors if its ok to have a drink a week you would get a very wide variety of doctors saying similar things but thats based on patients who at first glance are very similar and ignoring the most likely red flag ... "everybody's different" The question of is it ok or not ok after going thru cancer, treatments and sometime during or following their recovery phase where does the patients doc stand on after OC alcohol consumption... This is an extremely complex question to answer! Several years ago many members weighed in on a thread on this topic with a general consensus that "in moderation" its ok to drink alcohol but since drinking is a major cause of OC it really is best to avoid it. So much for this being a simple black and white type of question, same thing when considering what the answer is. Im very sorry if I sound like Im making it so much harder than it needs to be!!!

My doc (ENT) and I had several discussions on this topic, His advice to me was absolutely no alcohol of any kind, ever again or I went thru all the OC hell only to drink my way to an early grave. For me, prior to having OC drinking was something I very rarely did ... at most once a year or easily once every 3+ years, or it could be situations in my life putting me in an unusually high amount of events where 99% of attendees have a drink or 2. My ENT also told me the percentage of alcohol is something important to watch if I chose to have a drink with beer or wine having significantly less alcohol than hard liquor. If I were to drink something always try finding the least alcohol as possible. That says to me what you asked about if the amount so low it wouldnt count as being something containing alcohol. Avoiding drinking as much as possible helps to avoid the docs concern of the drink burning your sensitive mouth and throat.

Clear as mud huh? Im very sorry but its so complex and often being OC survivors our docs dont always come right out with a direct answer of either yes or no they say its ok. Best thing I can suggest is to ask each one of your doctors what they think is best for your situation. That is if you are able to tolerate a couple sips without it burning your mouth and throat so much you are instantly in extreme pain. Maybe that would be what makes the decision for you. Every one of us who had rads are much different when they are fully recovered than before they had cancer. Im 14 years post OC (the first one of 3x) and to this day I cant imagine swallowing anything containing alcohol. Im not able to tolerate a quick swish of mouthwash even if it contains a lowered amount of alcohol... my mouth and throat would instantly be on fire just from taking a tiny sip.

Hope you get a much better (and clearer) answer for your docs!!! Please let us know how you make out. Best wishes!!!!!!
1 member likes this
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23