Thread Like Summary
SonOfTCMom
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by SonOfTCMom
SonOfTCMom
Hello,

Sorry for making my first post here instead of the introduction forums, but I need some urgent advice please.

I'm from India. My mom has been diagnosed with Stage 2 tongue cancer. She has a tumor on the left side, that's slightly above 2 cm big, and while PET/CT did not indicate lymph node (or other) metastasis, MRI came back with a few enlarged nodes.

The oncologist has suggested removing a 4cm long, 1-2 cm wide part of the tongue and the enlarged nodes. They are also advising a radiation regimen after that. For tongue reconstruction, they have given us a choice of :

(a) wrist flap -- less impact on speech, tongue size, but more chance of rejection (?) and re-surgery. Plus possible complications at the wrist site.
(b) tongue flap -- essentially refolding the tongue I guess? Major impact on speech and tongue length/size, but less postoperative risk.

The doctor is strongly recommending the 2nd option, but I know that being the gregarious type that she is, not being able to speak will absolutely destroy her mentally. I feel like any rejection risk with the first option is worth taking if it is minor enough, considering the depression she'll sink into with second option. Also, in browsing through posts in this forum, I have not seen any cases of rejection with the wrist flap method.

My mom is 60, she has low weight and has type 2 diabetes as well.

What are your suggestions please? Also, is there an option of not doing any reconstruction at all?

Edit: Typo in title
Liked Replies
by Susan2992
Susan2992
Sorry to hear about your mother. I’ve had 4 partial glossectomies with the first one being in 2005. My cancer was small and on the lateral side of my tongue and I had a recurrence in the same area, so all the surgeries removed a bit more of the same area of my tongue. I never had a flap or any reconstruction. I had some minor issues with speech and eating but doing some “exercises” did help. Another OC survivor I know did have his tongue “folded/reshaped” and is doing fine.

A doctor that is familiar with your mother’s situation would be best to advise on getting a flap or not. It all depends on what part of the tongue is impacted and how much is removed.
1 member likes this
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23