I recently was diagnosed with a new SCC on my far back, right side of tongue. I had a partial glossectomy just over a week ago. It is considered a new cancer since my original throat cancer, SCC was 9 years ago which was treated with radiation and chemo.
My original surgeon had recommended leaving the tongue heal on its own, no sutures. However, he hurt his back and was unable to do the surgery. There was no date for his return and it was not in my best interest to delay the surgery. I was then recommended a surgeon from the same team at the same CCC facility. I had not met him before but I did get to meet him about a week prior to the surgery date. It had been 2 months since I had found the questionable area.
He did not know what he was going to do until he was going in...sutures or open wound for recovery. I trusted it was a decision that needed to be made as I was on the table. I have sutures. It is still painful although I am mainly taking extra strength tylenol. I had a bad side effect to one of the drugs and did not need the oxycodone.
So I am wondering if anyone would be interested in sharing their experience with sutures. I am a bit concerned about the limitation I feel in trying to use my tongue. I understand it is early in my recovery but I was also told that some patients return to work in a week or two. That will not happen with me, I am a Kindergarten teacher. I need everything working pretty efficiently to step back into the classroom.
Thanks for any insight you might be interested in sharing with me.
Nona Chris