In 2001 I was diagnosed with Squamous cell carcinoma on the right side tip of my tongue. I had It removed and 30 radiation treatments just on my neck (lymph nodes).
I soon forgot about it and didn't even feel like I'd had cancer.

In 2016 I was diagnosed with invasive carcinoma in my right breast, I had a lumpectomy (actually two as they didn't get it all), and 30 radiation treatments. This time I knew I had cancer but was still feeling very positive about the outcome.

In 2018, I noticed an indention on my tongue near the scar from my previous surgery. So,17 years later, there I was with tongue cancer again. I believe it's considered a new occurrence rather than a re-occurrence. I had about 1/4 to 1/3 of my tongue removed. This time I had 30 strong radiation treatments on my tongue and mouth. I had severe mouth sores, lost 36 lbs and was threatened with a feeding tube. I wore a Fentanyl patch and used liquid lidocaine for the pain. I saw the same Oncologist I had for the breast cancer and when I was finally able to ask without crying, I asked him what my prognosis was since this was number three. He said this was a conversation he'd had more than once. He took my hand and said "We just don't know, but I can tell you, no matter what may come, we have something to help you.... New discoveries every day."

I still have what may be permanent radiation damage which affects what I can eat. Nothing mint flavored, no carbonation, nothing acidic, and nothing spicey. Did I mention I grew up on and love Mexican food :-( Also, nothing crisp or crunchy? These foods are either too rough for my tongue or burn and cause sores. It has been an adventure testing and seeing what I can and cannot tolerate. A big concern I have is that my husband and I may be left out of dinner invitations due to my food limitations. Overall, I'm doing good now. I am able to retain a good weight. I really needed to lose what I did but I don't recommend it as a diet. When I'm feeling down, I remind myself of all the other people who have worst challenges...loss of limbs, blindness, etc. Guess we all have something.