Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36098 11-07-2002 02:51 PM
DavidL Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm 16 years old and my father just had a "bump" on his tongue removed, the results came back as Squamous Cell Carcinoma. We've been going non-stop meeting different surgeons and docters, and we've made a decicion to get it surgically removed in two days. I haven't slept since we found out about the cancer because he means so much to me. To my knowledge, he will be in the hospital for a few days- where he will need a tracheotomy, and when he gets out he will need a feeding tube for six days. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on making this difficult battle easier on him... I can't bare to see him in this kind of pain. Also, is all this a normal procedure for cancer of the tongue, we thought it would just be a simple surgery. (the cancer is on the midline of the tongue halfway back, less than 2cm in diameter)

Thanks for the help!

-It's hard for us to look at the good in these types of situations, but my father is very blessed. We have much to be thankful of: He VERY rarely visits the dentist, but he ended up going because he happened to be off work and my mom had scheduled an appointment (even though she knew he'd cancel it)- the "bump" was discovered then, only MONTHS after it started. Without him going to this appointment I would have surely lost my father. This is no coincidence, God's love is great. God is a very important part of our lives and we know He is with us during this time. If you or a loved one are going through this, please look to God.

#36099 11-07-2002 03:17 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

I would also look to that dentist who took the time to screen your father properly, and acted immediately on it. If your father's cancer was found as an early stage one, that dentist deserves a bit of credit. Perhaps you'd like to nominate him for our Dental Lifesavers award, you can read about it in the dental section of the main website. As to this not being coincidence, clearly it is not, your mothers making the appointment played an important role as well. You may attribute this chain of events to whatever you prefer, but common sense, a concerned spouse, a dentist who is on his toes, are all things which did not require divine intervention to happen..... Perhaps in life there are miracles that happen, for which there is no logical explanation, and when they occur, we can all ponder them in amazement and thankfulness. But more often a more terrestrial chain of events brings either good or bad to our lives. God seems to help those who help themselves to repeat an old quote.

As to the surgery, this is all normal and he is clearly going through the minimum of procedures. Be sure that he gets a chest CT scan of his lungs and that they have done a complete examination/scan of the cervical nodes. This is where things are often missed, especially in those early cancers that seem to be stage ones.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#36100 11-07-2002 03:32 PM
DavidL Offline OP
OP Offline

I know very well credit is deserved in other places as well, I just hoped I could help people with the horrible disease get through it, and I've found that The Bible has made everything easier-- that is my opinion however, I respect everyone's beliefs and I appologize if I have offended anyone by being so religious. Thank you for pointing this out- the lack of sleep is getting to me.

I will certainly look into the Dental Lifesavers award- When the dentist spotted it, it was barely visible, and it resembled a cold-sore that my dad gets extremely often- it would have been very easy for the dentist to dismiss it. I owe him more than I've owed anyone before, and I plan to meet with him after this whole ordeal and give him my graditude.

#36101 11-07-2002 03:48 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Do not apologize for your strong faith. It has been known to get people through the toughest of situations. And you certainly have not offended anyone. Spirituality, whether it involves the Bible or not, is an integral part of our existence, and for the many questions for which we have no scientific answers, it provides us with both a universal connection and comfort. A balanced life contains many things, among them; the application of hard work, common sense and the intelligence to make good decisions by interpreting scientific facts into positive outcomes, and a grander view of our existence, only achievable though a spiritual perspective.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,916
Newest Members
RiverChuck, Txteacher, UTFN57, Lexlie, saskychris
13,185 Registered Users
Forum Statistics