Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#201624 11-26-2022 11:33 PM
OP Offline

In April 2013, my oral cancer presented as thrush in my mouth, then it was diagnosed as gingivitis, then oral lichen planus. After 7 trips to my dentist & different diagnoses each time, a biopsy was finally done. This was done in January 2016 and surgery was done in April 2016. I had a 2.5 cm tumor running along my lower left jaw and it had penetrated the bone by this time. Six teeth were removed and the affected bone was shaved off and my jaw supported by a metal strut. I had 6 rounds of chemo and 40 radiation. The cancer came back in 2019 (the doctor had left positive margins in 1st surgery). I traveled from TN to MD Anderson in Jacksonville FL and had fibula free flap reconstruction surgery. I had a 3 cm tumor in my left cheek, a .5 cm tumor under my tongue and 5 involved lymph nodes on the right side. So I was stage IV. Afterwards I had 30 rounds of radiation.

It’s now 2 1/2 years post-surgery and I’m still cancer free! I recently had surgery to untether my tongue on the bottom and I healed quickly. I have a speech impediment now and I must use a chop stick to push food between my molars (I have only 3 molars on the bottom) because my tongue doesn’t have the coordination to move the food. I lost half my tongue.

BTW I never smoked. I didn’t have HPV.

I’m wondering if anyone else is having this difficulty with eating? Do you have any tips to help me? I refuse to eat in public.

Last edited by Grammylife; 11-26-2022 11:39 PM. Reason: Added never smoked
Grammylife #201635 11-30-2022 09:46 AM

Hello,
I just joined forum today, and came across your post. I was diagnosed in May 2021 with tongue cancer, non-smoker, social drinker. I had half of my tongue removed, and wrapped up radiation treatments in August 2021. I still am unable to eat normally. It’s either puréed foods or smoothies/protein shakes. I make the smoothies to give me plenty of calories, and fill in with protein shakes. I do go out to restaurants with others, and I enjoy good soups. I may not be able to eat everything that’s in some soups, but everyone with me completely understands. I would say to give it a try. You can do it!

Grammylife #201637 12-01-2022 12:28 PM
Assistant Administrator
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Assistant Administrator
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Dear Grammy Life,

It is hard. I lost half my tongue and it was rebuilt with flesh from my arm and had 60Gy of rads. It took many months of slowing manipulating different foods but I can do it now. I am about 2-1/2 years out now (surgery was 4-1-2020). It takes me a long time to eat and I can not socialize very well during a meal (food comes out!) unless i am careful.

I have learned to raise a finger and those with me understand to let me finish processing whatever is in my mouth. Then, i cover my mouth with a napkin and speak. Until i went through this, I never realized how much of our social lives is based around meals.

My first few trips to the restaurants were careful and lots of napkins! But, i can manipulate most anything now. In fact, i am at work now, at my desk, eating a chicken casserole! No way i could have done that for months but i can today. I do have to occasionally stick a finger in my mouth and really gyrate my chin around weirdly to get food from stuck areas. But, behind a napkin usually no big deal. I have done business meals, etc. This is no longer a thing for me like it was the first months.

If you want to try, you can likely figure out a way to do this. Start simple, soups, soft foods, etc. Bring extra napkins, floss, toothpics, etc. I sometimes go to the bathroom with floss or toothpics in my pocket and work out whatever is stuck. Also, if with new people, i find that if i explain myself, they are quite understanding. For all the ones who aren't, their loss!

Stay safe and keep the faith,
Nels

OC thriver, Tongue Stage IV, diag 3/12/20, surg 4/1/20, RT compltd 7/8/20
1 member likes this: Brian Hill
DeniseW #201666 12-19-2022 11:38 PM
OP Offline

Hi Denise,

My surgery was 2 1/2 years ago & I can eat a lot of things, except not salad, nuts, meat, peas, rice, chips, spaghetti…
I still have a protein shake daily as my primary meal.
I have gone to restaurants & gotten soup. I sure miss those Outback steaks & salads though!

Kathy

Nels #201667 12-20-2022 10:14 PM
OP Offline

Thanks for your reply Nels,

I had half my tongue removed too, as well as my lower-left jawbone (replaced with fibula) & most of my bottom teeth. My surgery was 2 1/2 years ago & I can eat a lot of things, except not salad, nuts, meat, peas, rice, chips, spaghetti… I use a chopstick to push the food between my teeth because my tongue is so hindered & my jaw doesn’t move as freely as it once did.

I still have a protein shake daily as my primary meal.
I have gone to restaurants & gotten soup. I sure miss those Outback steaks & salads though!

I’m just wondering if anyone on here uses a stick to help them eat.

Kathy

Last edited by Grammylife; 12-20-2022 10:15 PM. Reason: Add

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users