Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
dan1211 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi everybody,

I'm in my last two weeks of radiation and chemo. I thought I had a dentist he took over $1000.00 from me anyway.But now he says he cant do anything for me. Will not even take a look at my obturator.So I need a new dentist that can help me and make me a permanent one in the future. Is there a national registry any where? I live in the Florida panhandle any Dr. around my area?

Thank you

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Dan!

Im guessing you are trying to find a new dentist for after rads has finished and you are a few weeks into your recovery. While in rads treatments, there cold be swelling, mouth sores and many other radiation induce issues that would make dental work at this time impossible. Best place to look is to call your insurance company and explain what you need help with. They should have some sort of list or have knowledge of what is in your area. Id also suggest seeking a prosthodontist. Thats a dentist who has 3 extra years of dental education/school to specialize in more complex cases like patients that need special dental requirements after rads.

Please remember OCF is a very small nonprofit organization that helps patients/survivors and caregivers with info and support for anything and everything relating to oral cancer (OC). Our members are from all over the world. Just the odds of finding someone with recent obturator experience in your general area is unlikely. Plus in the extremely rare chance you do find someone nearby, having that individual read your post as well as knowing the sort of special dental professional you need is next to impossible. Im very sorry!!! We all try to help each other as much as possible but for something like this its highly unlikely we can help. At OCF we do not maintain lists of doctors, dentists, hospitals, etc. Without having any medical training or education we're not qualified to rate each individual professional, keep tabs on them for years, do updates with dentists retiring or just starting practices.

You may have more luck online, at least I hope you do!!! Theres all kinds of websites that rate and list different professionals. Ive seen too many ads on TV for people looking for babysitters, home remodeling pros, attorneys, etc. Off the top of my head I do not know what specific site you need but an online search should get you closer to what you want to find.

Best wishes with your ongoing treatments and for a speedy recovery!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Hi Dan - I am just seeing this now, so hopefully, you found a dentist who makes obturators. If not, my husband just had one made following his surgery at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. I know this would be quite a drive for you from the Panhandle but my husband is very happy with this dental group. Jane

***** ADMIN NOTE ***** All identifying info removed after sending Dan all info of original post. Anyone else living around the central FL area needing obturator info please PM either ChristineB or Jane. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics