Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#199444 11-15-2019 10:27 AM
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

A quick update on my treatment. I'm now 2 weeks post radiotherapy and 13 weeks post surgery. I've also had 2 doses of cisplatin (and won't be having anymore).
I'm still on ensure shakes that go through my RIG (G-tube in US), as does all liquids and medications, as my throat is still too sensitive to swallow anything. I can occasionally drink but most cause me to cough and splutter which then makes my throat sore. So a bit of a cycle I'm trying to break.

I have awful ringing in my ears. I'm still hopefull it'll die down. I have lost hearing and have been told it'll probably be a permanent loss.

I have mild mucositis. All the sticky mucus is at the back of my throat, so I'm gargling warm salty water to help clear it. I'm also filling my shower with hot water to generate steam to also help clear it out. I also get dry mouth at night. It's not too bad yet and I'm hoping it doesn't get any worse.

I'm sleeping on the sofa at night as it's the only place I can keep my head at the correct angle to get some sleep, but man! the tiredness is really kicking my butt. I'm nodding off as I type this up. My energy levels are low. I feel lazy as I spend so much time sitting/napping. Tomorrow my husband and I are off to a Christmas market for an hour or 2. It'll be nice to get out of the house and walk somewhere other than the grocery store. I also need to do a bit of walking around where I live, again just to get out of the house.

I miss eating. It was my birthday last week and I couldn't have anything, so we've put it on hold until I can eat. I'm hoping to be able to eat something for Christmas. I've started having cravings for things. I did try some food but my throat is too sore to swallow and I choked. Not fun. It made me realise I'm pushing myself too hard without listening to my body. So, when the sore throat and coughing goes, I'll start off with some soups and then some mashed potatoes/veggies with lots of gravy.

I get sweaty too, especially at night. I've had a couple of night where I've soaked the bed.

My speech is doing well. Not bad for someone with a sliver of tongue. I've noticed on correspondance from my medical team to my Dr that they're saying I've had a glossectomy rather than a sub-total glossectomy. I need to ask them why it's changed.

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
05/20/19 T4aN1/N2bM0 SCC a whopper of a tumour at 8cm long & 4cm wide
Pembro pre & post surgery
RIG
Glossectomy ND RFFR 08/13/19
RT x33
2x cispltin
So far, no evidence of disease
Now an author of a recipe book for mouth cancer patients
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Well, I’m going to wait till you are able to eat to wish you happy birthday Dizz. Nice your getting out with your hubby. It helps to keep your spirit up. Sorry your energy level in low, but if the body says “ I want to rest”, then rest lady Dizz. Had a little giggle with your description “cough and splutter”. Poor girl. Wishing the better days ahead come soon for you. Hugs!

SSC Lt sublingual tongue; Age 62
Positive biopsy 20June2019
Staging done 2 Jul : Stage 1
Quit smoking 15 years ago; not a drinker; no HPV
Pet/ CT 6Jul2019 : Negative. Not even the Lt tongue lit up.
Partial Glossectomy 22Jul2019
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks Mokie, I'll keep you posted on when I can eat again. I've managed a cup of warm black tea this morning. Throat still sore but the coughing wasn't too severe. I think the few days rest on the throat is helping smile

I love this tome of year. You have the changing of the leaves, Halloween (I was fortunate enough to live near an American airbase in the UK where I had friends, so was able to trick or treat US style. My friends were jealous as in the 80's trick or treat wasn't a popular thing), bonfire night, my birthday, winter, Christmas and New Year. I love it all! So going out to Christmas markets always gives me a boost. I'm hoping I can drink something warming too while I'm there, but we'll see. (I'll carry a bottle of water for those dry mouth moments)

I'm definitley resting, I just think I'm a terrible patient. I'm used to planning and organising things, looking after people, cooking etc. Ahh well.

I hope you are well and you are getting what you need

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
RIG
RT x33
2x cispltin

Hey! I’m glad you’re doing well. The Christmas market sounds like a fun outing.

Would you mind telling me at what week post-surgery you could eat mashed potatoes and soup?

N. Suarez
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

The Christmas market was OK. Popped over to see some friends afterwards.

I think it was about week 4, post surgery. Remember everyone is different, so what might be your time to eat could well be different to my time frame. It is good to try when you feel ready, not on a schedule.

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
RIG
RT x33
2x cispltin
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

You are absolutely amazing, Dizz!!! I LOVE seeing your great updates about how well you are doing after rads. You definitely are a person to emulate to patients just starting out. You are dealing with a million things of your own yet you go above and beyond to help newer members who are just starting out and the many who are going thru a scare and are overly worried which as we all know is a horrible way to feel. Thank you for your dedication Dizz!!! Its commendable especially when I know you just recently finished rads. I sure wasnt doing anywhere close to how you are until I was a good 6 - 8 weeks post rads. Keep up the good work on getting yourself better first, you are so very important to so many who are close to you at home. We will always have new members coming to our forum feeling terrified, alone and not knowing which way to turn. Your help is giving them a bright light at the end of the tunnel to guide them towards whatever path they need to take.

You're awesome!!! Thank you very much smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Awwwww thank you so much Christine. This has given me a real boost laugh

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
RIG
RT x33
2x cispltin
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Belated happy birthday to you! I hope you can celebrate soon with some ice cream at least! Your outlook on this whole process is remarkable and reading your updates always gives me a boost so thanks.

"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thank you Eileen smile I finally had a small amount of ice cream this evening.
I'm glad my updates give you a boost too. Hope you're OK.

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
RIG
RT x33
2x cispltin

Hi Dizz_zzey,

OMG you are eating ice cream?! You must be a month post radiation now, right? That is awesome news. Definitely something for me to look forward too...

Please, please keep us posted on your journey!

R0se

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37