Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#198750 07-22-2019 04:09 PM
Charly1 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey All,

I'm 4 months out from last treatment and my mouth feels as dry as it did 4 months ago. Well....not quite, but almost. I'm still on a liquid diet. I drink 5 Ensure Plus' (350 calories each) a day to reach my minimum caloric intake to maintain my weight. It is still very difficult for me to swallow anything but liquids because of my dry throat. I had my esophagus checked last week to make sure it didn't need to be dilated, and it didn't. So definitely related to saliva, and my loss of appetite does not help. I went to my dentist for the first time since treatment last Thursday and my gums looked good, but I have 7 cavities!! The Ensure is horrible for my teeth. Anyway........my dentist prescribed me NeutraSal. I looked it up and it sounds really promising for improvement in saliva, speaking, tasting and eating. Of course it was THEIR site. LOL

Has anyone out there tried that product?

Stage I floor of mouth cancer 2012. Surgery only.
Recurrence stage IV floor of mouth October 2018.
Surgery, 2 rounds of chemo and 35 radiation treatment.
Completed treatment March 2019.
Female 57
Charly1 #198752 07-23-2019 01:22 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Charly,

Yes, I was using NuetraSal. My Radiation Oncologist was able to order it somehow, shipped to my home, and directly have it covered through my Prescription plan.
I did find that it gave me some temporary relief from dry mouth. I never had it as bad as some other people, so I probably didn't use it as regularly as I should have, so I don't know if the overall benefits would have been better if I did.
I was relying more on Magic Rinse to help with getting my mouth back to normal.
But I wanted to mention your dental health. Lack of saliva promotes cavities, so I highly suggest you get fluoride trays. They are just plastic molds of your teeth, and you put a thin strip of a prescription flouride paste in them, and leave on your mouth so the fluoride soaks into your teeth. There are verying opinions how long to leave them in, so I would leave that up to your Dentist or Oncologist.
Also, make sure to use a non alcohol mouthwash.
If you don't use the Flouride trays, ACT makes a green fluoride rinse, which has a neat little measuring spout built in, so you get the correct amount of rinse.
As far as calories, you can get a BOOST VHC drink that is over 500 calories, but it is pretty thick. But it may be a good way to get used to swallowing soft foods. I think you can only find it mail order. If you Google it, a few companies come up with a promotional price, and you have to order through that link, or the price will show higher.
Sorry that I went so far off topic, but yes, the NuetraSal would be a beneficial treatment, and I hope you are better then I was at keeping to the suggested frequency of rinsing with it.
Stay well!

Enlarged left cervical lymph node in neck on 1/9/18. Male, age 60. Had retired from working as a computer technician and a project manager for almost 38 years, on 7/1/17.
Node was removed 1/16/18 and found to have SCC P16.
Chest xray clean.
Since then, PET/CT, slight activity left parotid, possible malignancy left lingual tonsil. MRI clean.
3 endoscopies, nothing seen.
2/26/18 Larryngoscopy,primary not found.
TORS 3/23/18 lingual tonsil biopsy.,biopsy negative.
Chemo/rads started 4/18/18.

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users