Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#198711 07-16-2019 11:28 AM
OP Offline

Hello everyone, so happy I found this support group!
In 2001 my 71 year old husband was diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the right tonsil. Treatment was a bear but got through it. Several years ago he had molar extractions that led to entire jaw being infected and now fractured. Next week he's going in for mandibulectomy & fibula (plus more bone needed) free flap reconstruction.
We thought just a Ng tube would suffice but after swallow eval a peg tube is necessary and happens Friday.
I'm retired and havent ever seen this. I am very scared. I grief I'll be driving a whole man to suffer torment after the surgery.
Any happy positive thoughts & prayers much appreciated.

Pebbles Summer #198712 07-16-2019 06:43 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF! Im very sorry to read about what your husband is facing!!! Hes very fortunate to have you by his side!!!

Ive been thru a mandibulectomy myself but mine was due to having an oral cancer (OC) recurrence. Any teeth being extracted when the patient has been thru rads for OC should be done with the Marx Protocol. Thats 20 hyperbaric oxygen treatments before and 10 after the surgical procedure. This helps OC patients to avoid from going thru far bigger problems down the road such as osteoradionecrosis. Definitely NOT big words I ever wanted to know! Its NOT easy to compare patients who are having a mandibulectomy for osteoradionecrosis vs someone who need the mandibulectomy to remove cancer! Every single patient is different and will respond to treatments and procedures in their own unique way.

I have a couple suggestions to make this as easy as possible on you both. First, your husband should eat as many of his favorite foods now (without being concerned about gaining weight) before the big surgery as it could be a while before hes able to properly eat for a few weeks or possibly months. He does NOT want to have cravings and be unable to eat what he wants. Anyone who offers their assistance to you or your husband should be told when the time comes you will let them know what they can do to help. Theres a million little things that add up to be alot on just one persons shoulders. For example mowing the lawn, taking out the garbage, watering the garden/flowers, walking the dog or checking in on the cat are just a couple helpful ideas. People usually want to help those in need and you will have alot going on so I suggest taking advantage of peoples offers. Make a list of everyone with their contact info and when you need a hand make a couple calls. While your husband is hospitalized he should have someone stay with him around the clock or as much as is possible to run interference with medical staff and be his voice as he may not be able to talk very well. They can just hang out, even if hes sleeping and can be his voice to ask the nurse questions or for pain meds. If possible round up at least 3 or 4 people who would be willing to take a couple shifts to stay with your husband during the hospitalization. You will have your hands full and staying there 24/7 is NOT easy on any caregiver so the few helpers could help to give you a break to go home, deal with all your other responsibilities, shower, catch your breath and relax even for a few hours. Caregivers must take good care of themselves so they are able to care for others. While waiting for the big day, try your best to spend quality time together making precious memories and take lots of photos so you can go back and see all the happy times you both enjoyed. Everyone is always fearful of the unknown, so staying busy with making memories will help pass the time in a positive way instead of sitting around worrying.

Its not easy but many have been thru this and it is easier on some than others. Not sure if what your husband is having done is less extensive than what I (or others here) have been thru. My surgery was a little over 10 hours and hospital stay was very long due to my complications. Make sure your husband is as stable as possible without being in much pain as much as you can. No patient should ever suffer in pain when it is easily available and helps patients to not get over-stressed. Having 2 different kinds of pain meds prescribed for the hospital stay should help to make it easier on your husband when he is hurting and still has hours to go until he can take another dose of pain meds. Instead he can be switched between the 2 pain meds when he has pain.

The last bit of advice is to ask the doc about having a possey muir valve trach. This type of trach allows patients to speak much easier. If you dont ask about it, your husband will be given a regular one making it a challenge to talk.

Im certain I'll think of other things that can help you both. Wishing you both all the very best with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma