Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#198473 06-08-2019 05:41 AM
OP Offline

i am 37 year old , indian, male in london uk.
i noticed a hard lump on the left side of neck, very near to jaw, near wisdom teeth(one teeth gap) which is broken and filled with cement,
i went to gp who suggested it can be anything , lymphoma, submandibular gland tumor...and refereed me for further tests
i haven't noticed any other lymp node swelling.
no pain, no

is submandibular glan very near to jaw? is it a tumor on lower inner body side of jaw ?
any one here as jaw tumors?

Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome to the forum. Please understand that we are a group of patients and caregivers and do not have any medical training. What we have is the knowledge we have gleaned from going through treatments. For this reason we can’t really tell what your problem may be and you won’t want us to diagnose you anyway.

Your best bet at this point is to follow your doctor’s advice and wait for the results of your tests. Until you have had a biopsy, there is no certainty that you have or not have cancer.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hello indianguy,

YES, the Submandibular salivary glands are beneath your jaw-- translate Sub ( meaning Under) And Mandibular, meaning the Mandible = lower jaw.

Mine were Removed during my Glossectomy ( cut out the tongue) and Neck Dissection surgery, along with removing part of my Right jaw bone ( a Mandibullectomy).

First, you need a diagnosis , biopsy, Pathology report though before you jump the gun!

Do you have a go very good head & Neck doctor, and good hospital there?

Crystal

Last edited by Crystal J; 06-08-2019 02:11 PM.
OP Offline

I live in london, There are some good university hospitals here, My GP will probably allow me to choose hospitals

The node looks like a hard but movable(not much) attachment to the jaw, does any one here has idea of tumors on jaws?

OP Offline

Any way thanks for the reply and, my dentists here are not much use, they saw my tongue and told me it is just deposits of food ,scrape it off.
however i have white papillae like projection since > 15 years, so i am not sure if my tongue is involved or not

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

In the US, anyone who has a non-healing spot, sore, lump, red patch for 2 weeks or longer should seek out a qualified ENT who specializes in treating oral cancer patients... NOT the ENT who mainly puts tubes in kids ears! Here in the US a patient first gets an oral cancer diagnosis before seeking out a hospital for treatment. That should be the same for most countries with good medical care. I can only speak for the US on how our medical system works. Family doctors and dentists do not often treat oral cancer patients and many are not that experienced in other mouth issues. Dentists do not always look past the teeth to manage other ailments.

Its highly unlikely the two areas are associated with each other. Theres all kinds of different things you could have going on besides cancer. A lump does NOT mean its cancerous. If you are not confident in your physicians skills get someone else. Find yourself a qualified ENT who specializes in oral cancer patients as they would be the most experienced in other unusual mouth/neck/throat issues (at least thats how it is in the US).

As Gloria explained our group is made up of oral cancer patients and caregivers. This does NOT take the place of years of medical school, clinical patient experience or everything that goes into obtaining a medical degree. Its not possible to diagnose anyone over the internet. Even by looking at photos will not help figure out what something is, a biopsy is needed to determine exactly what something is.

Best wishes with your tasting! Hopefully its nothing serious. In the slim chance it would be cancer, then we are here to help. Good luck!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

I'm just now 12 days after surgery for my cancer. The other responses here are spot on. An expert could not give you a diagnosis on an internet forum. Docs and others based on experience can offer only conjecture and generalities.
It's very common to want some certainty as quickly as possible, especially when the possibility of cancer arises.
Regardless, do what your GP says.
Cope however we all do, but add this forum to your options. And best of luck.

OP Offline

More bad news, my full blood count results came in today, I have high neutrophils 6.9 and low lymphocytes .9 , I have read online that this ratio is not good and long term progress will be less than 5 years for head and neck cancers

I am waiting for diagnosis
Does any long term survivors remember their FBC?

Oral cancer can NOT be found from a blood test! Please do yourself a huge favor and avoid Dr Google, it will never replace being seen by the correct doctor for your ailments.

The odds of survival are around 60% for oral cancer (OC) patients when all stages are combined. When it is found in its earliest stages, OC survival is much higher, around 85%. After being here for over 12 years, Ive seen far too many good people lost to OC! Theres no rhyme or reason for this terrible disease that takes the lives of some Stage I patients while other Stage IV patients survive against gigantic odds. Personally, I do not concern myself too much about statistics ... especially when I am one of those Stage IV patients who defied the odds of survival.

I know its NOT easy to remain calm when you have been asking Dr Google medical type questions and they bring up very scary results like cancer! This does NOT do anything to help get a diagnosis.

The only thing you can do to obtain a diagnosis is to go to the correct medical professional (ENT specializing in OC) to have a full oral cancer screening along with a biopsy of any suspicious bumps, lumps, patches, spots, sores, etc. After the biopsy, theres usually a wait that most of us feel takes forever but its about a week in the US until the pathology report comes back with detailed info about what the tissue sample they examined is.

The only positive things you can do while waiting for your doctors appointment, test and results would be the following... You will want to avoid anything that could make what you have going on worse. Immediately stop drinking alcohol, smoking, betel nuts, etc. as they are irritants with many known cancer causing agents. Even using mouthwash that contains alcohol can irritate sensitive mouth tissue. Another very good idea would be to get a water pik and use it 2x a day with warm water and some non-alcoholic mouthwash along with brushing and flossing after every meal. Eat a healthy balanced diet, eliminating junk food like candy, sodas, etc.

If you want to read info about oral cancer (OC) here is a link to our main OCF site where you can read page after page of correct, up to date medical info about getting an OC diagnosis and anything/everything you could read on this subject. By learning more about OC from a reputable source, the more you will understand the steps we have outlined are what is necessary to find out whats going on and to get it taken care of.

Good luck with everything!!!

[url=https://oralcancerfoundation.org/understanding/]Main OCF Site, Understanding section[/url]

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

You are giving me strength to fight
How many times did you get radio therepy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics