Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Vicky1 Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Did you have to have your jaw wired shut after surgery? I googled it, and the images and information was overwhelming and scary. I'm going to avoid google from here on out.

Dad was diagnosed 2/28/18 w Stage 4, N0 Verrucous carcinoma (VC) an uncommon variant of SSC
Mandibulectomy and free-flap reconstruction 5/30/18
Diagnosis changed to SSC.
Began treatment of 30 rads and 5 Cisplatin Cycles on 7/18/18
Decided not to do any more Cisplatin after the first one.
Finished treatment on 8/31/18.
3.19 Abscess & Recurrence wide mouth resection
4.16.19 Scapular Flap Reconstruction surgery
9.6.19 Clear CT!
8.6.20 Clear CT!
Vicky1 Offline OP
OP Offline

Dad's getting more upset as we near the date. He's started saying stuff like maybe he should kill himself to avoid the surgery. His primary care doctor gave him some anxiety medication, but told him to take it only when he's feeling very anxious. It's making me more worried for the surgery and afterwards. It's been a rough couple of weeks.

Dad was diagnosed 2/28/18 w Stage 4, N0 Verrucous carcinoma (VC) an uncommon variant of SSC
9.6.19 Clear CT!
8.6.20 Clear CT!
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Talk to your dad's doctor about the anxiety. Depending on what he's been given, it's possible he can take a lot more. I'm on pretty regular anxiety and depression medication, and my very sensible psych upped the doses for some of them during my cancer treatment, because obviously that's going to push the boundaries a LOT! If I can be prescribed as much as I get, you can certainly question if your father can be prescribed more regular or a higher amount dosing. If it's for anxiety or panic attacks, I find that by the time mine break through, they are a lot harder to stop, and it's better to keep them in check up front if possible. Cancer is scary. Might as well go ahead and get the anxiety under control if you can ... enough of the rest feels out of control as it is. I'm NOT a doctor, of course, but I've been dealing with panic attacks for near twenty years now, so I have some experience in this area. smile Ask. It is always worth it to ask.

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June
2017: probable trigeminal neuralgia
Fall 2017: HBOT
Jan 18: oral surgery
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

As you have found out the hard way, Dr Google is NOT a good source for info! I always advise members to avoid using that. I tell people that if you put in enough info, even an 80 year old man will come up as being pregnant with twins. Of course Im joking!!! I just hate seeing patients and caregivers who already have enough on their shoulders learning from any number of unreliable sources. OCF is one of the few sites certified by Health on the Net to always provide up to date, correct medical advice.

The patients mental health plays a big role in how well they do with surgery and recovery. Im so very sorry your father is upset and talking about suicide! That must be very sad and scary at the same time. If your father is a danger to himself, thats way more than almost all caregivers are able to manage. If you have not notified all of your fathers cancer doctors about this, do so right away. They need to know about your fathers current state of mind and the change in his anxiety meds. Some of those type medicines take weeks until they are completely effective. Your father isnt on something like that, his is a more of a sporadic type of medicine. Sounds to me like your father would benefit from something taken daily even though most of those meds need a few weeks before it kicks in. Tomorrow morning start calling your fathers doctors.

Hang in there!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Vicky1,

Depression, and even suicide is a major factor with head and neck cancer patients. I once read as far as cancers, suicide was 5th with Head and Neck Cancer patients, but recently read it’s second behind pancreas cancer, but regardless, all threats should be taken seriously. Maybe your father can see a therapist, talk to a friend or minimum tell his doctors!

Some anti-depression medications can even cause these thoughts with certain individuals with no history of this or even with this disease, it did with me. I contemplated this, still have a wrist scar, but attempted several times, other ways, which was all I thought about doing when I was hospitalized for 6 months in 2010, and paralyzed from the waist down or was just so weakened, with no good prognosis. The hospital and staff had no idea either! I told one friend who came to see me, who had convinced me that if i wasn’t successful, I could be permanently harmed, disfigured or paralyzed. That made me think, so at one point, I requested the hospital stop giving me anti-depression meds (only do this by dr request), but I don’t know if this was the cause or not, but haven't had this problem again, even after multiple cancers, but here I am still, cancer free, 9 years later.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

PaulB #196494 05-23-2018 07:40 PM
Vicky1 Offline OP
OP Offline

We found out dad has diabetes today. We also went to a cancer support group at a nearby hospital. I think it bummed him out. It sounded like the three folks who were there have been coming for years. Two of them have terminal cancers of the prostate and of the lungs. They talked about a woman who died since their meeting last week. People cried. He did talk a lot about how angry he is about his diagnosis and how scared he is of the surgery, which might be good.

9.6.19 Clear CT!
8.6.20 Clear CT!
LJM Offline

There really is a great sense of comfort in talking with others who have gone with similar situations. I would make sure his doctor knows he has talked about ending his life. I believe antibiotics might benefit him. I am sure the anxiety meds help but if he is suppose to only take them when things are really bad, that doesn't help him every day.

When I went in for my tongue & neck dissection surgery, one of the nurses had part of his jaw bone removed due to Oral Cancer. It was very inspiring to me that he was working as a nurse and had made it through his storm...at least for the most part wink

Lori
Biopsy 12/2017 microinvasive carcinoma measures 0.25 mm
Partial tongue removed & 29 lymph nodes neck dissection
Trying to accept my new normal
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912