Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18161 06-29-2005 03:54 PM
OP Offline

My name is Brian Krause. I am 48 yrs old and currently 7 months out of radiation and chemotherapy for a SCC tumor at the base of my tongue.

Three months after being diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and starting using the CPAP breathing machine at night, I noticed a small swollen lymph node high up under my right jaw. I went to my GP and she said that if it doesn't go away in 30 days ( maybe a small infection) a needle biopsy would be in order. It didn't go away and the needle biopsy was inconclusive. A surgery to remove the node showed SCC. Then a trip to a very good ENT showed a small tumor at the base of my tongue right next to where the lymph node was.

I started radiation (7000 rads over 35 treatments) and Chemotherapy ( Cisplatin, three treatments 6 hrs each) the next week. I think the Sleep Apnea was the biggest contributing factor in weakening my immune system to start with and was a big factor in my getting Squamous Cell Carcinoma. I don't smoke , drink heavily, chew tobacco etc... I was though, exposed to heavy second hand smoke once a week at a bowling alley for many years. I was treated at the Cleveland Clinic Oct

-------------------------
Brian Krause, 7 months & counting SCC (base of the tongue) survivor....
#18162 06-29-2005 04:04 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Brian ! Hooray for you. What a great attitude. I wish you could have talked to my husband about 4 weeks ago about nutrition. He wouldn't listen to me and is now down 10 lbs. and losing lots of muscle strenght. But his attitude is positive like yours. Thanks so much for posting. Amy

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#18163 06-30-2005 03:19 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hi Brian. Soory to meet you. Wish there didn't even have to be forums like this. I am glad to hear of your courageous fight. So how did you keep your neck from getting to burned and what did you do about your sore throat? Any tips on that you'd like to share?

Blessings and strength,
Barbara~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
#18164 06-30-2005 06:55 AM

Hi Brian,
Welcome to the forum and glad you are beating this. You sound a lot like me. I was damned if I was going to let this thing beat me, but then my doctors gave me no reason to believe that I wouldn't get through it. I lost only 4 or 5 lbs which I needed to lose anyway, went back to work 3 weeks after radiation (no chemo). The one thing I did wrong was not get any exercise and I think that is what contributed to my being so cold. I think a positive attitude really helps get through these treatment issues and yours is great.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#18165 06-30-2005 10:45 AM
OP Offline

I must have had good genes because my neck got red but not really too bad. I think the skin peeled off about the end of treatments and the nurses gave me some creme to put on my neck every day which I did religously. That helped alot. I'll have to go find the stuff and post it. My throat was sore but really not too bad. I was on pain patches for about a month, more for my tongue soreness than anything. My tongue swelled up from radiation and my teeth rubbed the sides so much that it got really sore. I used BMX to numb my mouth to eat and drink. I truly believe that nutrition is what saved me. I was getting over 3000 calories a day with my shakes and that helped my body heal faster. One other thing I did during almost all of my treatment was to take a quart bottle of water and add 1 tsp of salt & 1 tsp of baking soda. Shake it up then rinse, gargle and spit out. My radiation Dr. harped on me to do that as many times a day as I could. I started the first day of radiation. He said it breaks up the thick mucous that the radiation burns produce so it heals faster. He was right..... It does do that very thing. I still do it several times a day. He told me that he has successfully treated 100's & 100's of patients the way I was treated and has had a very good success rate. His name is Gerold Saxton at the Cleveland Clinic.
You know, the parking lot at the Cancer Center at the Cleveland Clinic is ALWAYS full..... I hope to help anyone who needs it to get thru the treatments and continue to live their lives.

#18166 06-30-2005 11:24 AM
ahn Offline

Brian
I sent you a message (I think it was under the private post).

My husband's radiation doctor was Dr. Saxton also. Who did you have for your ENT and chemo doctors?

Dr. Saxton is a stickler (sp) for not losing weight. My husband sees the ENT every six weeks and the chemo doctor almost as often. He sees Dr. Saxton again in a couple of weeks. My husband has been back to cycling (bike) since April so he hasn't gained any weight back. The ENT cannot believe he is back riding. The ENT just smiles and shakes his head in disbelief. My husband tries to ride five times a week. He rode 84 miles last Sunday.

Dr. Saxton treated someone I work with at over 13 years ago - he had a T4 no lymph node involvement so did not have chemo. Sounds like Dr. Saxton has a great success rate.

I went to every Radiation treatment with my husband and stayed with him in the hospital during his chemo treatments (96 hours - twice). I saw the patients everyday and now understand what the radiation nurse meant when she said that "THESE ARE STRONG PEOPLE TO GO THROUGH THIS TREATMENT".

I am glad to hear that you are going well.

#18167 06-30-2005 01:14 PM
OP Offline

My ENT is a wonderful doctor. His name is Sam Albert. He works out of a clinic in Akron, Ohio next to City Hospital. He is a good surgeon and when you look him in the eye, you know you can trust him. He told me that if I was "his" brother, he would send me to see Gerold Saxton (radiaton) and David Adelstein (oncologist) at the Cleveland Clinic. It wasn't to dis any local doctors but he trained under both of them and knew they were REALLY good.

My wife drove me to every radiation & chemo treatment and was truly my hero in all of this. It takes a special person to care for someone who is hurting like I was. I love her very much!!!

Tell your husband to keep it up and never give in!!

#18168 06-30-2005 02:12 PM

Brian,

You are truly an example of the power of positive thinking. Congratulations on your wondeful progress and good luck with the treatment for the osteoradionecrosis.

Please keep us posted.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#18169 06-30-2005 03:24 PM

Brian thank you for the information. I am using Biafine three times a day but my neck started getting red today and it is only treatment #7.

I have Dr. Levy at the Jewish Kenwood Hospital Radiology Center in Cincinnati Ohio. He was recommended to me and he is such a wonderful man. I knew the minute he said he had a mask made on his self to see how it affected his patients so he could understand I knew he was a good man.

I have been using the water/ salt/ Bk. soda but maybe only twice a day. Guess I need to up that to lots more huh?

Thank you and may you continue on to a lifetime of health.

Blessings to you,
Barbara~

[i]"The artist, a traveler on this earth, leaves behind imperishable traces of his being." -Fran
#18170 07-01-2005 12:09 AM
OP Offline

It is important to get in the habit of rinsing/gargling as you will be forced into it very soon. When the mucous gets really thick the rinse will cut it right out. Salt helps the healing too. Your skin effects are going to be what they are as everyone is different. My skin took it very well and all I have now is just a permanent tan. I think keeping it moistureized is good. The cremes really helped me. The tougher parts of the treatments are coming so keep your chin up and meet it with a positive attitude. You WILL get thru this and you WILL survive!!

Sincerely,
Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics